Brake pads - Ceramic or (semi) metallic??

mud4feet

The time has come again............the little "squeakers" are doing their job. It's time for new brake pads on the front of my TJ. I've been mulling over putting ceramic pads on for quite some time now - have researched quite a bit and can find no "definitive" answer pro or con. So, fellow Z'ers........opinions?? Experience??? Any comments will be helpful. Gonna happen in the next couple of days. The "cheap-arse" side of me tells me to go with the same ones I put on last time (50K+ miles ago - the "cheap" ones), but I sure hate dealing with all that stinkin' dust!!!

I would go with the semi mettalic. The ceramic may last longer and perform better but will wear out your rotors quicker. IMO.

I would go with the semi mettalic. The ceramic may last longer and perform better but will wear out your rotors quicker. IMO.
My exp has been the opposite; ceramics are similar in cost, quiet, stop as well as semi mets with much LESS rotor wear; remember; semi-MET; as in metal; as are your rotors; basically metal on metal (not quite; I know I oversimplified that one a bit) so which one do YOU think will build up more heat and tear up rotors?? In 18 years as a brake/alignment guy I did everything I could to go with organics vs semi mets especially on the proverbial "old people's cars"; they were the 1st and most persistent about complaining about squeaks (prevalent in many semi mets) and they sure weren't using their cars in any "heavy" capacity"; once ceramics came out I started using them more+more; lots less customer complaints (like everything else they were a bit pricey vs. semi's at 1st but seem to have stabilized there too). If you can go with Ceramics; but whatever you decide; STAY AWAY from the "house brand" el-cheapo's; get the name brand!

Ceramic pads don't work well.......

......until they get warmed up, then you'd better have your seatbelt on!:lol:

I put a set of ceramic pads and new rotors on my wife's car last fall. They seem to work very well so far. The rotors are still smooth but we'll see how long they last in the long run. The rotors were not expensive so I figure I can change them again next time if need be. I have always run "soft" pads on my truck and Jeep in hopes of keeping the rotors from wearing out but the soft pads require frequent checking and make lots of dust. I wonder also if soft pads might fade more during hard stops. If the ones on the wife's car work out well I might upgrade my Jeep next time too. Best of luck - John

Being in the Automotive aftermarket parts business I can tell you we see MUCH less returns/hassles on pads and rotors with ceramics Vs. semi-metallics. I would still shy away from organics though if you have tires of any decent size for off-roading they just won't stop you for ....

I like ceramic. Good pedal feel and much less brake dust.

Back