1100 miles on a rebuid that needs more work?

Jambo21

I just has the engine rebuilt on my 82 CJ7, put in a Howell TBI. Everything was going fine. I put 1100 mile on my Jeep in two months... until last week when the engine started to feel weak and it felt like it was lunging. I ran a compression test on all of the cylanders. I did a compression test on all of the cylanders. All were about 140 lbs except for number 5 which was at 25 lbs. The place that did the rebuilt on the engine is fixing the problem at no charge. Is this a common problem or is there something else that I should be worried about? Obviously I don't have to worry about fixing the problem right now. I am missingsomething else?:beer:

To me that sounds like a blown head gasket, a cracked head, a broken/poorly seated valve, or a bad valve guide. I would NOT start the Jeep in this condition, if it's the head gasket or a cracked head you could be leaking coolant into the cylinder and that will cause your engine to hydrolock.

If you're wondering what hydrolock is, think of it like this. You cannot compress liquid. When coolant fills the cylinder the piston hits the upstroke and tries to compress it. Something has got to give and it's not going to be the coolant.

So I got my jeep back today and it was a bad exhaust valve. The place that did the rebuild fixed it all at no cost to me. It is good to see people still honor their workmanship. Now it seems that the oil pressure is running low (5-10lbs) at idle (750 rpm). A new OEM oil pump was put in at the rebuild. It is not a high volume pump. FYI they replaced the head at the rebuild, because the original head was cracked, and when it was in there last week they checked the head again and put in a new head gasket. Any ideas on the oil pressure? Yes there is oil in the engine I checked it several times. SHould I put a heavier oil in the engine?

5 PSI is too low at idle..Either there's a leak on the pickup tube on the oilpump or there's exessive bearing tolerance.. Are you using a mechanical or electric oil gauge?. There's also a possibility that the sending unit is faulty and is giving you an inaccurate oil pressure. I like the mechanical gauge better, they are more accurate and dependable.

I had electrical sending units for both temperature and oil pressure, but was not happy with the performance. I put it in mechanical sending units for both. The pressure is fine when driving but it drops very low at idle. Would it be something wrong with the rebuild or would it be a periferal problem?

Back