dana 44 axle truss options

GaryMB

The pinions on my dana 44's, especially the front, seem very vulnerable to rocks and I have been thinking of ways to protect them. Rather than welding a flat piece of steel under the pinion and yoke that could bend and hit the driveshaft if the jeep came slaming down on it, I thought that somehow incorporating a pinion guard into an axle truss would be best--hit two birds with one stone, and make a smash-proof pinion guard. So, before I start to weld something up, I thought I would try to get other people's ideas and opinions here. Are there any good aftermarket trusses with pinion guards that I should look at? Have any of you made a similar truss/guard? Thanks for the help, I can't wait to see what this Jeep can do in the rocks!

I have low pinions D44's front and rear as well. I thought about something like your mentioning, but it would kill the clearence. I have dragged the yoke and joints over rock countless times. knock on wood, no failure yet.

When I looked at it, it was appearing to me to be just way too obtrusive and bulky. while unsprung weight is a good weight to add, it just (too me) looked way too big to make it a benefit. I have seen pinion gards that wrap around the diff and basically clamp on to the center, but they look flimsy like if I hit it hard, it will deflect slightly and cause more problems.

If you come up with something I would definatly be interested in what it is.

I have low pinions D44's front and rear as well. I thought about something like your mentioning, but it would kill the clearence. I have dragged the yoke and joints over rock countless times. knock on wood, no failure yet.

When I looked at it, it was appearing to me to be just way too obtrusive and bulky. while unsprung weight is a good weight to add, it just (too me) looked way too big to make it a benefit. I have seen pinion gards that wrap around the diff and basically clamp on to the center, but they look flimsy like if I hit it hard, it will deflect slightly and cause more problems.

If you come up with something I would definatly be interested in what it is.

I agree... in my opinion you are creating a hook. I dont think I would worry too much about it.

Dan
www.bluetorchfab.com

Back