81cj5 stuck in 4low

CWPWBONE

Hey guys this is my first post even know I have been enjoying reading some of yours. I have an 81 CJ5 with a T-176 transmission not sure what the transfer case is but I'm pretty sure it is stock. I just fixed the T-176 it was popping out of gear and getting stuck in gears. Ended up being an easy fix and cost me 12 bucks so I was feeling pretty lucky. So today for the first time I locked in the hubs and put it in 4low seemed to work just fine. When I was done driving around I went to put it nuetral and it would not move. I have movement in the shift lever but it will not come out of 4low. It isn't full range of motion in the shift lever it feels bound up. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Bone

With your engine at idle, Trans. on first gear, barely release the clutch to get the mainshaft to move and while your doing this , attempt to shift the t.case..I think you have a Dana 300 t.case..
Welcome to Jeepz.

yep, basically you need to have the input of the t-case moving a little bit to line up the gears so you can shift. Also you could try greasing or spraying lubricant where the shifter pivots near the t-case.

That worked thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What does that tell me is something wore out and needs replaced? Does the trick work all the time I still want to go play in the mud but don't want to be stuck somewhere. Anyways thanks for the quick fix.

Bone

there's nothing nescessarily wrong with it, it just needs a little movement on the main shaft to loosen the gear coupler. That's how i've been doing it for years and never have any problems.. I'm glad you got it..

Back