[Pics]My Jeep is wrecked... can this be fixed?

Sine Deviance

Yeah, I got rear-ended on July 4th. I've had my YJ for almost two months now and it was practically flawless before this. Great luck, huh?

Anyways, all the damage is in the rear. It's mainly the rear frame member, the gas tank got punched pretty hard too but luckily it didn't rupture... it'll still have to be replaced. The body was untouched, that was really lucky. From the following pics do you guys think this can be fixed? Click on the thumbs for fullsize:

And for kicks, here's the car that hit me. The ol' Jeep held up pretty well considering that this Celica is practically totaled:

Last edited:

WOW, you lucky lucky dog, time for an new aftermarket bumper with a swing away spare mount AND a larger fuel tank. :twisted::twisted::twisted: That's what I'M talkin bout:twisted: Laugh all the way to the 4X4 parts store!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Looks like no more than a scratch; had the same thing happen to me once. Since it is the other guy's fault take it to the best shop in town and make sure they check the fame.

Jeep vs car: Jeep wins (well, usually). I agree with everyone else, time for an aftermarket bumper and gas tank skid, and have a good shop inspect the frame on the other guy's dime.

Ditto. I took those bumperettes off, (after I tried to use the passenger side one as a tow anchor...it looked like a taco after that trip). If your frame is straight, just pound that frame member back into shape and use the insurrance check to buy a nice bumper/tire carrier.

Check the frame and the shackle mount for any damage,other than that look like what every one else time for new after market bumper.

Yep, Gotta agree with everyone else...Ha Ha! Aftermarket Bumper and a gas tank Skid plate.Take advantage of someone elses #*%k up...LOL

Lucky me :lol:

Well, today I found out that when the other car hit me it pushed my tailpipe forward and broke my exhaust system in several places. New performance exhaust system for me :D

Ahh, yes... Jeeps are built like a brick - small but solid.

That guy must have hit you pretty hard since his air bags went off. Check your body mounts to be sure nothing got out of square and make sure your battery is still securely mounted. Yup, time for a good tank skid and new bumper!! Best of luck - John

Pretty minor compared to what happened to me last August. A 16 year old turned in front of me and I hit her with my driver's tire. Check for hidden damage, as I kept finding things the more I tore it apart. (New frame, new front suspension, new rebuilt transmission, etc.)

drive it and pocket the money. after market cros members don't cost much, all you need is a grinding wheel and a welder and it can be fixed. granted you will need to know how to use those tools as well as a number of frame measurment. but not hard.

Back