1st Time Owner has a Big Problem

Rex

I just bought my first Jeep last weekend, a 1974 CJ-5 in very good condition. I have a problem though. I can barely fit in it the way it is now. My Jeep has a gas tank under the front seat so it sits really high and an old steering wheel, which is 17" in diameter. Between the high seat and the huge steering wheel I can barely get in and out of the Jeep. Once I am in it's okay but getting in and out is almost impossible.

I thought getting a smaller steering wheel would help. I don't know whether to get a 14" or get a 12" wheel. Any suggestions on this? Are there any problems with a 12" wheel? For my situation the smaller wheel is better.

The driver's seat is way too high. How can I fix that problem? Take out the 2nd gas tank? Get a different seat? Suggestions? I also have a problem with leg room. I'm a bit less than 6'2" so it's cramped. Any way to get some more leg room?

Once I get where I can get in and out and have a comfortable seat I think I'm really going to like this Jeep. But getting in and out is making things very difficult so any tips on improving driver access and comfort are badly needed. Thanks.

I would start with removing the second tank to make the seat floorpan-level again, and try moving it back about six inches. After that, get a smaller wheel if you need one. I'd also recommend buying an aftermarket seat and frame, the kind that slides forward and back and reclines (that is, if the stockers don't.)

I run a 10" steering wheel. With power steering it's not too bad on the arms.

Looks better too, IMHO. I also have the Grant anti theft device. This allows the steering wheel to be removed with a special key. There is a metal cap that goes over the column after wheel removal.

I'd imagine it would get old quick if you had to remove it every time you got in & out though, if you kept the big wheel.

If you dont plan on using the back seat remove both tanks and use a fuel cell.

Or jsut remove the second tank, sell it on Craig's list, and go buy a Jerry can. You'll only need extra fuel when you're off roading, so why have an extra tank with you all the time? Just my two cents.

Or jsut remove the second tank, sell it on Craig's list, and go buy a Jerry can. You'll only need extra fuel when you're off roading, so why have an extra tank with you all the time? Just my two cents.

+1. The added weight from an extra tank (if full) will absolutely kill your mileage and you'll definitely notice a loss in your 0-60 time. Jerry can is the best way to go simply because it's easy to remove when you don't need it.

I had a similar problem with 'Black Betty' turned out someone in her past had installed a steering column from a Chevy truck~37 inches long finally got a 28 incher in there and wha la

After talking with a friend with lots of experience with Jeeps I have decided to do everything to fix my seating comfort and access problem. I'm getting a 12" steering wheel. I'm taking out the gas tank under the front seat and I'm putting in some different seats. It's going to take some modifications to the seat brackets but it shouldn't be too complicated, he says.

While talking with my friend he told me that I lucked out on my Jeep. It has a Dana 44 rear end with posi, although that needs to be rebuilt. Apparently, that axle didn't come with the '74 model so somebody along the way put it in. This is a good thing, right? He says all I need now is to change my T15 trans to a T18 and I will have a real nice trail rig. At this point I still haven't decided to stick with a manual trans or switch to an auto. I'll keep the 3 speed for a while and then decide what to do. But I have to get the seat/entry problem fixed before I do anything else.

Dana 44's are epic win. Rebuild the one you've got and try to get one for the front. If you can do that, it'll be all the axle you'll ever need :D

As for the transmission selection, I don't know much about the choices for your Jeep, but I will say this. Automatics are easier to trail with because if you're climbing a very steep hill you won't have to constantly feather the clutch to keep the engine from stalling, but you will have to keep one foot on the brake pedal at all times in case your transmission just can't push you any higher. On the other hand, with a manual you'll practically never need to use the brakes because you can keep the momentum going with the clutch since it's more direct than a torque converter. So basically it's your preference.

Another mod I'd recommend, if you don't already have them and you're serious about trailing I'd consider upgrading to disc brakes. Drums are fine for normal driving but on the trail they heat up and expand to the point where they lose all of their efficiency, meaning you'll have to stop and give them some cool-down time often. Discs are immune to this problem, but on the flip side, rotors tend to warp faster than drums. Again, your preference.

CJ 5's are really small, you will probably never get past this completly. The CJ 7 would be better for you. If the back of your seat is touching the wheel well (like mine) then you can't move it back. A smaller steering wheel would help, but be harder to turn. If you don't have power steering, you could add it, and then put as small a steering wheel as you like.

Back