No FIRE!!!!!

JTR0569

Trying to get a 1989 4.2l wrangler running and it just wont fire. Replaced the coil, cap, & rotor but still no spark from the coil. What should I try now?

It sounds like you're 180 off and your plugs are in the wrong spots...regardless of where the cap says the #1 is supposed to go. It's not uncommon. If that's the case there's an easy way to find where the #1 hole on your cap really is.
You're going to have to get the #1 cylinder to top dead center on the compression stroke; not the exhaust stroke to find out. Here's how I do it...

1. Pull the #1 spark plug out.

2. Get a someone to sit in the driver's seat, with it in neutral, to "bump" the starter while you hold your thumb over the hole where the #1 plug was. "bumping" is when you turn the ignition for a split second just to advance the cylinders a slight amount. While your friend is doing that with you saying, "again" after each bump, you are waiting for a rush of air to blow past your thumb, that you're trying to seal that hole up with.

3. Once you get that rush of air; don't worry it'll be obvious; you'll know that your #1 cylinder is at or near the top of its compression stroke.

4. Now pull your cap off and take a look at the position of the rotor in relation to what plug it should be hitting on the cap. That position is your actual #1 plug.

5. Put your cap back on and put your #1 wire in that spot on the cap and go clockwise with the rest of them from your new #1 position.

6. Once you're done, start it up and let the engine warm up. Set the timing with the vacuum advance off and plugged and the three wire connecter to the 4" and 10" vac disconnected. 9 degrees BTDC.

If that's not the problem, come back and we'll look into something else.

Actually I replaced the ignition module and got the fire I needed. The Jeep has been sitting for awhile, would you recommend replacing all the fuel lines while I have the tank out for cleaning. Also I looked on line at Edlebrock do you know if they make a carburetor and intake manifold for the 89' Wrangler. Thanks for your help!

Back