Ever seen a bench seat in a YJ?

Boze

Am I crazy? I would kind of like to have a full bench up front b/c the wifey is talking about a third kid. :shock: LOL. I have a hard time fitting the two I have in the back what with the oversized car seats and all the paraphernalia that comes along with taking little kids on a long trail ride. (Diapers, bottles, goldfish crackers...on and on it goes). Long story short, can a bench seat be wedged in the front of a YJ, and would I still be able to shift (manual) if I did it. Has anyone seen it done, and if so, what did the bench seat come out of originaly? I was thinking maybe an older Ranger, Luv, Datsun, or something like that.

Thanks guys,
Boze

I'm sure with a minor modifications on the shift rods you can make it work.. Crazy? , well? Heck yeah!! lol...I think Steven ( Utah_Jeepster)would be the expert on this, hauling his 11 wives and 16 children in a jeep he calls a short bus , lmao...

How would you get to the back seat.May be time to get a 4 door JK,or you will have a really good reason to go alone.not fair to the other's if you cant take all of them.:lol:

:funny::funny::funny:

Yup, Just orderd my 2011 four door JK with optional third row seating.

and in the real world, the kids can climb over the front bench to get to the back one. They'll learn to buckles themselves in good after the first good rollover!

Like This?

Attachments

• 01150101020801031020080517fa5be6b7abdca2d3c600b34f.jpg
    01150101020801031020080517fa5be6b7abdca2d3c600b34f.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 13,999
Back when I was a kid (early 70's) Dad used to haul us kids around in his old Kaiser CJ5. We were five kids. One rode in the passenger seat up front and the other four rode, two on each side, on the rear fender wells. We had a Meyer's steel hartop but no roll bar. We had a blast back there:). - John

I believe the bench seat in the picture to be OEM. It was part of a "California" package (or something like that) they offered in a CJ7 for a short time.

That's exactly what I'm looking for. If I'm not mistaken the CJ and YJ tubs are exactly the same measurements. I can't find a front bench on quadratech anywhere...what to do, what to do???

It will be like finding a needle in a hay stack but you might try wreckers that specialize in vintage jeeps. Even then, most likely you will never find one.

However, these guys have a pretty big bone yard and may at least be able to point you in a few other directions to look.

http://www.oly4x4.com/usedparts.php

I would call them as it is not likely to come up on the used web page parts list. You need to talk to someone who knows what is sitting out in the yard. A little being nice and pleading will help as I often have been told, "We got a lot of stuff in the yard so you'll need to come in and see for yourself". The yard is in a suburb of Seattle, WA. Also, run adverts on Craig's List around the country under Auto Parts and be prepared to pay the shipping. Who knows, lighting could strike, somebody wins the lottery.

Last edited:

we had a customer install a custom bench seat from www.prpseats.com into one of our Fusion Chassis. The Fusion is built with similar dims as a Jeep so in principle it would be the same type of thing. It looked cool. When he first told me he was going to install a bench I thought he was nuts. In the end it looked very cool and had extra room in the buggy to haul the ladies.

Dan

As my Dad says:"If it can be thunk it can be done." You can get basically anything custom made but as others have said, do a search at scrapyards, craigslist, and who knows maybe ebay will have something good.

One of my trail mates has a toyota mini truck seat in the front of his YJ, perfect fit into the vehicle, not sure why he wants it, not the best offroad, but he likes it.

Back