Welding facts

1983CJ7

My CJ7 is in need of alot of small time welding, and I am thinking of learning how to do this. I have heard that a good ARC welder is a good start, and that I should not go on the cheap for it. Any insight on a brand, and is buy one used a good idea? I also need to learn how to weld - is it hard to teach yourself or should I look for help?
thanks!

Can't go wrong with a Lincoln Mig welder

By ARC welder I would assume you mean a buzz box for stick welding. This would be way too heavy for any sheetmetal work. For light welding like sheetmetal repair you might want to use MIG or even TIG welding. I have used a Hobart Handler MIG welder that plugged into 120V and worked pretty well for light work (though I'm not very good at welding:p). I think they sell a couple of different rated "Handler" units for 300-500 dollars. As far as learning to weld I'd recommend getting some instruction from a friend or even a night class - it will be well worth your time. Welding takes a lot of practice so find some scrap metal before going at the Jeep. NEVER weld inside a wood framed building or around flammable materials. When you're done and pack up for the night you might have a fire due to smoldering sparks you didn't see. Best of luck - John

Buying a used welder is like any other used purchase, buyer beware. Unless you know how to test a welder out, and what to look for you are at the mercy of the seller. I have purchased most of my welders used but only after trying them out prior to purchasing.

Definitely take some formal courses on welding. Long ago I thought I really knew how to weld good, I was self taught. One of my former employers sent me to school to learn how to TIG. It was there I realized my welding was not very god and my diagnostic skills sucked. Eventually I took all of the welding courses they had and I can honestly say my early welding was a hack job.

IMHO learn how to stick weld (SMAW) and Oxy Acet. welding first before learning other methods. They will teach you a lot about puddle control which a lot of welders are missing. Also if you have to weld outside, or out on the trail it will most likely be stick welding (SMAW) not MIG. Nothing against MIG, it has it's place as does SMAW, and TIG.

Like was said practice a LOT, welding is an art and a skill both require a lot of practice. Welding is not a tool you can go out and buy and expect to use immediately.

Same here. I first learned on an old lincoln Buzz box. My next door neighbor thought me how to weld and evntually got better at it. He is a professional welder by trait and has gone to school and has to re-certify every year for his job.. He thought me a lot on the trick of the trade and how to properly take care of the machine. After i passed his test from the Buzz Box, i moved on to the Mig welder, also a lincoln.. again, i learned different techniques of how to weld thin sheet metals without warping the surface. It took me years to be consistent and confident at my work before i eventually started to do some welding for my friends and now it's my side business SteelHeadz Customs..Welding is an art and skill that requires patience and knowlege. Don't be afraid to test your work. Always test weld on a piece of similar metal before you weld on your actual project.
If you have the opportunity to go to school for it, i'd say it's all worth it. In some schools, they will actually X-Ray your weld to see how consistent is the puddle and the burn between the two pieces of metal fused together.

All you should ever need is a MIG. A 115v wire feeder with a bottle of 75/25 argon will do it fine. Just squeeze the trigger and you're a welder. :shock: Make sure you practice on some scrap first. You may blow holes through the thin stuff if you don't.:eek: Make sure to get a grinder!!!! ( Lincoln or Hobart welder)

I took a 6 month course when I was a kid, at Airco tech in Philly.

I was planning a career, & ended up doing it for a living, for 16 years.

These courses can be expensive, but you may be able to get grants.

Short of that, & if your looking to do this only as a hobby, then check the nearest community college.

I highly recommend some kind of training, even if it's from a friend.

Trying to learn yourself, will likely result in a toolbag full of bad habits.

That said, the mig process is easiest to learn.

I have both a 110 mig I use for light stuff and a AC/DC Stick for the heavey stuff. make sure your stick welder is a AC/DC.

Check this out. The ONLY welder you'll ever need for your Jeep. (and most anything else for the hobbiest). You'll melt a few tips and bird's nest your spool about 3 dozen times before you really get it figured out, but once you do, it will WAY more than pay for itself in the amount of money you'll save by not having to go to a shop every time you need a small weld job.

Lincoln Electric Handy MIG Welder - K2185-1 at The Home Depot

Back