Rubicon 6 speed transmission fluid?

jonsolbe

I've searched the archives and can't find what I need.

The floorboards on my 05 rubicon are getting warm when I drive. Last week the skid plate was so hot I couldn't touch it after a 2 hr drive. I think I should change transmission and T case fluid but can't find a resource with specs for the common man. All resources I've found specify a Mopar part number of transmission fluid. The guy at the local parts store told me:

Transmission: Royal Purple 75-90 W
T case: ATF 4+

Does that sound right?

Where the hell is the filler plug on the transmission, is it that big plug on the side?

Supposedly the Royay Purple does not meet Chrysler's spec. You need to get the oil at the dealer or be sure that it meets the spec. Search around the forum, I heard there was an aftermarket oil out there but I don't remember what it was. The filler plug and drain plug are both large metric hex keys. One is bigger than the other and they are around 15 to 20 mm (sorry, I don't remember the sizes). Also, it seems to me that you are making way too much heat under there if you can't touch the skidplate. How's your mileage? I wonder if you might have a clogged exhaust. Best of luck - John

It really sucks when people don't come back and finish the thread. Since this wasn't closed off by the OP , someone needs to confirm what Crazy4Diesels stated. Valvoline Syncromesh exceeds Mopar's specs, and Ive found it actually improves the shifting over what was in it from the factory, which gave quirky first to second gear shifts. Obviously the Higher plug is the fill plug on the transmission, and if you have never changed the fluid DO IT! a substantial number of six speeds left the factory under filled. This was covered in a confidential service bulletin that Chrysler/jeep service depts. received. low fluid means under lubricated and in turn fluid needing replacement prematurely. (by now you should need to replace it due to mileage anyway) As for hot skid plates? shouldn't happen, sounds like exhaust issues, most likely a leak venting directly onto the plate. this is the only thing that would heat the skid plate.
Now for the person who is going to comment that this is a six year old thread, YES it is. HOWEVER people do web searches and find six year old threads, and get irritated, and curse the site they are on, when they don't find any answers, only an incomplete thread. Making sure the thread is completed is one of the BEST ways of supporting a site, since it brings in new members.

Back