Synthetic transmission fluid (automatic) for 05 TJ Unlimited?

Hook

I'm due for a transmission fluid change and really want to switch over to synthetic transmission fluid. I live in Sonora, Mexico and it gets REALLY hot down here.

I know that the manual specifies ATF+4 fluid. Which of the Mobil One transmission fluids will work? The only one I can currently find is their new Multi-Vehicle Formula that does list "Chrysler Group ATF, LT 71141".

I also have some older Dexron V, Mercon V Mobil One syn transmission fluid.

Will either of these work?

I have read too many lab reports about the durability of synthetic transmission fluids in high heat situations to go back to the conventional fluids, regardless of change interval.

Do you tow a heavy trailer?
What are your trans temps you see with regular trans fluid?
Do you have a large trans cooler?
Do you have a trans temp gage?
Not to steer you away from synth trans fluid but it may not be the be all end all to some of the questions I asked above. A trans temp gage that tells you the actual temp is a very good investment. Generally speaking a trans fluid temperature of 100* above ambient air temps is acceptable. For regular trans fluid about 225* sustained is max. After that it starts to degrade or "burn". A large capacity cooler will go a long way to keeping the fluid temps in check. A deeper pan is a debatable option as it has some pros and cons. Most stock trans coolers on light duty vehicles are too small to do much good in extreme temps or while towing.
The trans fluids you mentioned are ok to use in your trans. I am partial to Scheaffers but that's just me.

Back