91 YJ lift help

jleland

Okay, my 91 YJ has 31x12.5x15 tires and I want just a little more clearance. Should I go with a lift kit or just a one inch body lift? I'm not looking to get bigger tires, just a little more height

I should mention that I am on a very limited budget for now. Just bought the wife a new car. Also, what resources would be needed for a body lift?

Also, I should've mentioned about my starting issues. I've tried the whole turning the key on and sitting for a moment and then turning it over. That worked for a bit but now it is getting worse. It almost acts like it doesn't want to fire. Could this be a coil or sparkplug issue?

I'm not really too mechanical.

I'd start a new thread with your starting issues, keeps it simple for you and everyone else.

As for the lift, consider a 1" body lift for hassle-free tire clearance. If you want to get a little more involved, pick up a used pair of front springs and take them apart. Cut the eyes off and use the 2 top leaves from each pack as an add-a-leaf in each of your spring packs. It adds about 1.5" without stiffening the ride.

Thanks, I went ahead and started a new thread about my starting issues. Now about the body lift. What exactly is involved with doing a body lift?

You can do it for as little as $25 using real hockey pucks and 11 grade 8 bolts that are 1" longer than stock. It's real simple, just remove all 5 body bolts from one side and the one beneath the radiator. Loosen the bolts on the opposite side. Jack up one side of the tub with a floor jack and slide in the body lift. Hand tighten and then do the same to the other side.

Check the engine fan for clearance, you can notch the bottom of the shroud or move the entire shroud down by redrilling the mounting holes 1" higher.

Back