New engines for the wranglers...

RayOvac

Might be old news to most of you guys. I was poking around in allpar (mopar site) and stumbled onto this news.

The trusty 2.5L engine that served us well in the YJ's and TJ's has been discontinued. New wranglers (2004) will get the new 2.4-liter Power Tech I-4. This 2.4-liter engine provides an estimated 150 horsepower at 5,200 rpm and 165 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,000 rpm, representing a 25-percent increase in horsepower and an 18-percent increase in torque.

I have heard they are also gonna discontinue the 4.0 six cylinder engine completely as well. This is just a rumor right now. Possible replacement may be the the 3.7 V6.

I did see one scary line in the stuff that I was reading.

"Compared with other contemporary engines, the 4.0 was strong up until the end - which will be/was when it was finally dropped from the Jeep Wrangler (at this time, we do not know if the Jeep Wrangler will be cancelled due to new safety restrictions, or whether it will simply be redesigned - if the latter, we believe it will use the new 3.7 V6)."

Also was reading about the possible introduction of a long wheel base TJ. Can you imagine that? A four door wrangler!

[addsig]

The inline 6 cylinder is legendary... much like the short wheelbase jeep itself. I would cry while seeing it go[addsig]

The End is Near, the End is Near, I am scared, why oh why would this happen, Mr Willy where aret thou! Just take me now, no new Jeeps, what are they thinking! Guess we will just have to buy old Jeeps. Start to hord them up and save em for hard times. Tug
image-missing.png
[addsig]

End of Wrangler? They can't be serious. I went to the allpar site and this is what I found.

I'll pass it along.

"The ancient Jeep Wrangler may get a facelift for 2004, with a new grille (!), and a composite top with removable roof and side panels. The Wrangler is also expected to have the new 3.7 liter V6 since DCX is intent on eliminating unnecessary engines and transmissions. As we predicted, 2003 models saw the old 2.5 AMC four cylinder quietly replaced with the 2.4 liter four on base models.

A four door version is rumored and has in fact been market-tested for years. 2003 would be a moderately strange time to bring it out, but then, since the Cherokee - which was close to being a four-door Wrangler - is gone, maybe a four-door Wrangler would make sense to fit the Cherokee's "hard-core but not that hard-core" niche.

Rumors have sprung up on whether the Wrangler will be discontinued when new Federal safety regulations come into play. It is also rumored that the Wrangler was nearly cut in the Chrysler "restructuring" due mainly to the age of the Kenosha plant. DCX executives may choose to relocate production when it is revised - or they may cut it entirely, much to the detriment of the Jeep brand. It is slated for a redesign in 2006, at which time we suspect it will get an independent front suspension. For the moment, the Wrangler seems alive.''

KEEP THE JEEP!

[addsig]

if they discontinue the wrangler my YJ will be a jeep and a collectors item.
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

independent front suspension oh no they are turning them into toyota's im not liking this at all [addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>

2.4 Power Tech turbocharged

Power: 215HP @ 5600

Torque: 224lb/ft @ 3200

Transmission: 4 spd auto(autostick)

Gear Ratios: 2.84/1.57/1.00/0.69

Final drive ratio: 3.91:1

Max. Speed: 217 km/h (135mph) electronically limited

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow...that is some great torque...just what a jeep needs, the low end (well lower) torque of the 4.2 and the high end power of the 4.0 all rolled into one.

[addsig]

well you do know that Diamlar Cryslar is part owned by a German Company, I did read that when they were talking about the Rubicon. However they just spen around 1.4 Mill. On there new logo "Only in a Jeep," that shows the classic grill as for the safty thing, I did hear that the doors will no longer be removeable, that why they started putting full doors on the new ones. As for the engine design, that kinda sounds like an improvement for the 4 banger, I should know but as for the six I would kinda hate to see it go the one I just bought its a nightmare of an 88 but the 4.2 when it runs has goobs and goobs of torque, and I know the 4.0 HO is a lot better as for power.

The long wheel base would be cool but not a 4 door but maybee them bring it back as a scrambler or somthing that would be awsome I have always loved the way a scramber looked but never could afford one they seem to be atleast a 1,000 more than a cj5 of cj7 no matter there condition owell, later

marc
image-missing.png
[addsig]

In the north, full doors and hard tops are almost a necessity

for this winter. Plus ive got a soft top for most the year and

the doors come off easy. They've been showing off the DAKAR

wrangler for years. They wont come out with it, unfortunately

they will release the willy's 2. Thats ugly. Also forget about

IFS, itll likely have independent rear suspension too.[addsig]

I dont think the wrangler will be going anywhere.Even if those nazis at DCX design a new wrangler i dont think it will be independent front or rear.Also if they made a Dakar model i think it would be badass as long as they left the I-6.From what i have heard the 3.7 is a pretty shi**y engine.At least they had the brains to make the Rubicon.I still say we pool all our money and buy Jeep and bring back Cherokees, Destroy all Libertys, make the Rubicon package on Cherokees and Grands, and make the greatest offroad Jeeps of all time.At least we wouldnt have to put up w/ DCX.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I hate the 3.7 litre V6. I heard it had bad torque.The 4.0 should be left were its at.If they do change the motor,at least put the 4.7 litre V8.Now that would be a package.Don't down-size,up size.Now on the other hand,the 2.4 sounds like a great little motor.150 hp sounds like fun. Talk to you all later.
image-missing.png
Sully[addsig]

After we pool our money together to buy jeep, we bring back

flatties and cj-8's. Plus we will ditch the 44's in favor of the

newest teraflex 60R CRD. (Constant Radius Design). Well also

ditch the np231 for advance's atlas t-cases. At 40 grand apiece

we should easily sell 15 a year.[addsig]

135mph in a Jeep??? Kinda scary.[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>

Max. Speed: 217 km/h (135mph) electronically limited

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

WTF?! "Electronically limited"? That's just begging to get hacked... They obviously don't think much

of the abilities of the jeep community...

Cooper.[addsig]

Eh...those numbers are not from a jeep...that is a dodge neon they used for testing hehe....135mph in a jeep would be suicide.[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Eh...those numbers are not from a jeep...that is a dodge neon they used for testing hehe....135mph in a jeep would be suicide.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Oops... guess I should have read more carefully. Does the neon have a community?
image-missing.png
I still think it would

be fun to hack... I think they may be doing the same thing (electronic gevernor) to the rice rockets from japan.

Has anyone heard for sure?

Cooper.[addsig]

"I dont think the wrangler will be going anywhere.Even if those nazis at DCX design a new wrangler i dont think it will be independent front or rear.Also if they made a Dakar model i think it would be badass as long as they left the I-6.From what i have heard the 3.7 is a pretty shi**y engine.At least they had the brains to make the Rubicon.I still say we pool all our money and buy Jeep and bring back Cherokees, Destroy all Libertys, make the Rubicon package on Cherokees and Grands, and make the greatest offroad Jeeps of all time.At least we wouldnt have to put up w/ DCX."

Right on!...i got $5...who else is in???

[addsig]

Back