CJ 5 Steering questions

Ford289s

I am new to the world of Jeeps, and I just bought a 1974 Jeep CJ5, the steering is very darty, and I took it to a buddy who said that the steering gear, steering shaft, and the draglink are all shot.....The problem is, I am not sure if all of this is really gone or not, it still steers, and I am just wondering if anybody out there could give me a few tips to figure out what is bad and what isn't. Thank you

If you have never driven a CJ before they are a whole different animal compared to anything else, even a TJ. I have both and my TJ is nearly "car-like" in the way it handles compared to my CJ. The more mechanically inclined on the forum can tell you what you need to change out on the steering to help.

My 1980 CJ-7 waunders and can get a little darty depending on the road surface. I have replaced some things on my steering but it still wants to dart around a little bit. I'm sure there is still some improvements I could do.

X 2 for what Lisa said. A squirrely front end could even just be the tires. But, the steering systems do wear on a CJ and depending on how hard the jeep was wheeled before you owned it could all be shot. I would start with the ball joints and work back from there. Crawl under the front of the jeep and grab the steering rack and try to shake it up and down, side to side. If there is any play you have a problem. Also check the steering shaft under the hood. There should be two piece shaft system with a screw. Make sure you have a good quality screw. Also there should be splines that marry the two shafts together; if these are worn you will get slop and it is not safe to drive until repaired as only the screw will be keeping you from disaster. The last thing is the steering box itself and it will wear too. This is no place to skimp; if the steering fails while on the road you could be dead.

As for what's wrong... You can check each joint for play. Have someone wiggle the steering wheel back and forth and check each tie rod end for play. The 74 has a bellcrank, right? I think it does... If so, check those joints too as well as where it mounts to the crossmember. Then look at the steering gear. If theres a lot of play in it you might be able to adjust it out some. If the output bushing is worn you'll have to change that first, though. Do you have bias ply tires on the Jeep? Bias ply tires on an early CJ5 can get a little squirrelly at times. Also, CJ5's (and earlier little Jeeps) are a little more "darty" just because they are shorter. Best of luck - John

Thanks to everyone for responding I will try these tips out tonite. I found a decent used steering gearbox on the internet, and am now looking for steering shaft and draglink. I have decided it is better to be safe than cheap and sorry. Can anyone tell me one thing though........the steering gearbox says that it will fit 72-86 cj's, but when I find a new steering shaft, it says that it will only fit 76-86 cj's, am I missing something here? Thank you all again.

I'm guessing a lot of this can be applied to the cj7. Mine has some play in it and I was going to see if I could tighten it up a bit. I will eventually try to change out most of the parts on the jeep but the steering is pretty important!

Not sure on a CJ but most rigs have a nut with a screw in the center, on the gear box, where you can make adjustments

"the steering gearbox says that it will fit 72-86 cj's, but when I find a new steering shaft, it says that it will only fit 76-86 cj's, am I missing something here?"

Later CJs used a modern style GM column. The earlier ones had a simpler coulmn. Best of luck - John

Back