Goodyear Wrangler MT/R vs BFG MT KM2

Better at what? What part of the country do you live in? What type of terrain do you wheel in?

I have BFG MT KM2, and I have no problem with them their awesome offroading and there really nice on the streets.

Thanks for the input, I'm up in Canada, so snow and mud are big factors for me. Does that change anything?

The MT/R with Kevlar (not the old MT/R!) is actually pretty much designed ONLY for wheeling. Snow traction is actually rated by Goodyear at about a 6. Fantastic in the mud, but the tread design does not lend itself to any kind of a good ride. The KM2's, on the other hand, aren't quite as good in mud, but offer a much better ride on-road. I might also recommend checking out the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac, much better snow traction than the MT/R Kevlar, very aggressive tread design, but still a decent ride for when you're not wheeling.

I sell tires for a living... sorry for the sales pitch, lol.

More aggressive, self-cleaning tread design. T/A KO is a little tighter design, but it's also proven itself time and again, whereas the DuraTrac is brand new. Oh, and the DuraTrac is pinned for #16 studs, if they're legal where you're at.

I am looking at general grabber at 2 for my jeep unlimited got 60,000 out of the original tire goodyear but want something different and these look and seem to rate pretty well any opinions!!??

I wheel primarily in the Southwest deserts and also use my rig for a DD. The original 31" MT/R's gave me over 48,000 miles of excellent service both on and off road although the shoulder lugs do chunk a bit in sharp rock. I replaced them during a suspension lift but would think I could have easily gotten 55k miles out of them.

I replaced the OEM's with a set of 35's that have given me the same stellar results I enjoyed with the originals. I don't see much mud and then, certainly not the sticky, gumbo stuff found elsewhere, so can only say that I've "heard" they pack up and don't clean out very well, pretty much rendering them useless. Can't comment one way or the other on ice or snow.

I ruined the two front tires while on a trip in Oklahoma a couple of months ago. That was a long story that's way to embarrassing to go into here but they were replaced with 2 new MT/R's w/Kevlar (all I could afford at the time). That was at around 65,000 miles. With only 17,000 miles on the ones I trashed, they looked practically new with lots of tread left. Shucks!

Anyway, I am in the process now of obtaining and installing 3 more 35x12.50R15 MT/Rs with Kevlar on my Champion beadlocks. I'm swapping out the spare too, since the inside sidewall shows some heat damage from being exposed to a fire I had back in November.

I expect the asymmetrical tread pattern to perform better than the "old" design in the type of terrain I run. If mud was a major factor I'd probably be running something in the Interco "Swamper" line. I'd have to do a little more research here but this seems to be a popular choice with some of the Southern boys and girls.

I run MT/Rs and they work great on everything i've been in and on so far...

Attachments

• mud hole.jpg
    mud hole.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 10,363
  • snowy.jpg
    snowy.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 34,883
I run KM2's; have not offroaded them yet, but they are fantastic on the street. I have heard good reviews, though, from firendsrunning them in Central America (where my Jeep is headed within a month!).

The Trxus mud tire got the #1 pick of a mud tire in 4Wheel & off-road.
I ran them on my CJ7 and plan to run them over the Goodyears.

I just installed the MTR's with Kevlar on 2005 Rubicon and they are quiet on the highway and excelant so far off road.

I refuse to believe that the MT/R with Kevlar could ever be quiet on the highway.

129_0908_01_zgoodyear_warngler_mtrwith_k-1.jpg

SO much air displacement going on in that tread design!

I refuse to believe that the MT/R with Kevlar could ever be quiet on the highway.

129_0908_01_zgoodyear_warngler_mtrwith_k-1.jpg

SO much air displacement going on in that tread design!

I have heard that they are quiet; if you look at y KM2's, they also have rather large voids, yet they are also fairly quiet. My issue with the Wranglers is the reviews I have read about mud performance, which is where I plan to wheel...

Does anyone here actually have experience with the new MT/R with Kevlar? I would expect the new tread design to do better in mud than the old MT/R.

Back