parking brake issue

Rubiconhd

Trying to adjust my parking brake, dana 44 with rear disk. Should the parking adjuster be turned down or up to expand the shoes. Turned both ways and still no parking brake. I even adjusted the handle cable length. any suggestions?

My suggestion would be to remove the drums and see which direction the head of the threaded stud is and take it from there. Righty tighty lefty loosee..

......dana 44 with rear disk........

......My suggestion would be to remove the drums.........

SteelHeadz, might want to re-think your answer!:lol::lol::lol: I know Mikey is much more help than I, but it seems to me to be a cabling issue. Or a connection at the disks, as Mikey suggested. The e-brake is an old-school, armstrong, cable-not-hydraulics system - shouldn't be too hard to trace.

Thanks man, i knew i could count on you:D. i completely flew by that disk thingy, lol. My bad:p. Your correct on the cables Mud. From my experience, i've seen 2 different shoe setup on a rear disk. One with a 2 piece shoe(which will have adjusters on them) that should automatically adjust as you engage and dis-engage the e-brake. The other design is a C shape shoe most commonly found on the GM SUV's that i've seen adapted on the Jeep axles. This one has an adjuster but you cannot set it manually from the rear dust shield, only adjust through actuation.

Rear discs are unexplored territory for me!! Maybe, one of these days.................

But an ebrake is an ebrake - designed for you to use should all the fancy hydraulics and ABS craps fails. Yank on the handle and you stop the way we used to!!!! And if that doesn't work, you drag your feet like Fred Flinstone or aim for a tree!!!:lol::lol::lol:

The ebrake "should" be very simple.....not saying it is, but it should be. However.........then you throw in the rear discs and that's something I haven't personally messed with before. Keep us posted!!.....Educate me, please!!!

Last edited:
Back