CJ Transmission work

mrhc

About to start working on the T-150 transmission in my CJ7. Any words of advice or special tricks that would help. The mechanic I had look at it says that the 2nd-3rd synchronizer needs to be replaced. I'm not sure exactly what he means. All the drawings I see don't have an actual synchronizer on the 2nd-3rd gears. The parts around that gear are called lots of other things. Any help would be great.

What's the reason the transmission is getting looked at?, Popping out of gear?, shifting issues?. I'm in the process of rebuilding Bo's (Tonsoffun_77) Transmission for the first gear popping out while driving. I can take pics of the tear down and the do's and dont's during the rebuild. As of now, it's already torn down as i make the assesment of the parts that needs to be replaced.

It's popping out of 2nd gear at times. We were told the synchronizers were the problem as well as some clutch problems. I'm not so sure about the clutch. I'm thinking we may just overhaul the whole thing. Might as well while we have it torn down. Does the overhaul kit come with bushings and all gaskets and rings that would need replacing? Chilton's also says to punch alignment marks in several places to make assembly easier. What would be the best way to do this?

SteelHeadz, pics would be great. I only have a Chilton's right now and it doesn't have a lot of pics.

Last edited:

Try this:

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/t150_parts.htm

http://www.gearheadcafe.com/jeep_shop_manual.html

Remember to use petroleum jelly to hold the needle bearings in place, not grease.

It may well be the syncros, but popping out of gear can be a host of things from bad motor/transmission mounts, no torque stud, clutch misalignment, improper play/shimming inside the transmission, etc. The best advice I can give you when rebuilding the transmission is to layout all of the parts in proper order as you take them out of the case so it will be easy to put them back the way they came out; run a string or cord through them if needed.

Back