Help!!

cj7 princess

Hi everyone,
Think your all great for helping eachother! maybe someone can help me? I got my first jeep in February 2009 (1985 cj7 258 5spd, 33" tires etc..) anyway I spent the last 6 months restoring it, body work and all. Needless to say I am now about to claim bankruptcy;) but I finally have it so it will start and run, but then at @ 50 cuts out and dies! I noticed the engine was all over the place when idiling so I replaced the OEM distributor with an HEI, doing away with all the computer crap hoping it was an electrical issue. havn't started it yet but, while I was installing it I noticed these cracks on the headers? manifold? I have no idea what I need to do, I have been told a few VERY different things... get new intake manifold, it's the engine mounts, engine rebuild I can say if it is the engine I better get some running shoes! I sold my Ninja to pay for parts so it is my "daily driver" or atleast it will be if I can fix it:)
I am new to TX so I don't know anyone here... anyhelp is much appreciated, I have TONS of pics so if you need more info let me know
Thanks all,
Trinnie

Attachments

• both cracks.JPG
    both cracks.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 73

I believe those cracks to be superficial but I would have it check any way.

Last edited:
Some Header's have a cut there that's a releif for heat expansions. Some are a solid flange but is more likely to warp and is more difficult to seal. I would look at the way it run's from top to bottom and see if it's a clean cut or jagged edged. this will indicate if thats a crack or a releif..

here is a couple pics can you give me any clue as to what I am in for?

Attachments

• cracks-engine.JPG
    cracks-engine.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 130
  • pool of anti freze.JPG
    pool of anti freze.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 149

That looks like a crack. If it's not leaking on the exaust , i wouldn't worry about it.

so you dont' think theres anything to worry about? Do I just replace the motor mounts and that will stop the bouncing around? also I got a new exhaust for it, so can I just nix these aftermarket headers? I don't know anything about exhaust systems..
Thanks for all the help

Those arnt cracks, that is the end of your headers (manifold) that bolts up to the motor. No worries. Do you need a new exhaust? If so, you dont neccessarily need to replace the manifold.
Your engine will move (jump) when you rev it. This doesnt mean you have a broken mtr mnt. Have someone excellerate while you look at each mount. You should be able to tell if one is broken or cracked.
Why is motor shutting down? Is it overheating? Sounds like it did (pool of antifeeze!) This mite be several simple fixes. Try replacing thermostat first, cause you probably trashed the old one. Check radiator hoses, are they soft?

Last edited:

thanks for the help!! I am going to work on it today, I will let you know what I find, if there are any pics you want to see to maybe help direct me in the right direction or if you have any pics that will help please let me know:)

I would be more curious as to why there was anti freeze pooling there. Sounds like something's cracked or leaking that shouldn't be (and no coolant won't leak onto your exht. man. when it over heats lol).

Trinnie,

Looking at the first photo it looks like you have placed circles around the expansion joint between the intake and exhaust manifolds, as for the gunk that is pooling it looks like oil leaking from the rocker cover gasket. A few pictures taken from a bit further away might also help. You could also get a spray can of ether or WD40(spray rust penitrant in Australia), spray this along the joint where the intake bolts to the head if you have a gasket that is sucking air when you spray the wd40 the engine revs will pick up as the fliud is flamable.

Rick.

I think I figured it out... my temp sensor was all chewed up(white dust/powder coated to the outside of the bottom. I think the gasket from the valve cover was leaking, looks like someone glued 2 spots of the cover its self, then glued on the gasket cause when I applied the slightest bit of pressure I could see the cracks pop out.. maybe they tightened the bolts down too tight?? I ordered a new aluminum one anyhow, along with a new temp sensor. now if I can just get the dash prob fixed, and install this webber carb the right way I will be able to drive it!

Back