running rough

87YJNUBE

I just got a 87 wrangler 2.5L TBI 5 spd, I drove around for about an hour then came home pull the top ,doors,and carpet,it sat maybe 2 hours,then got back in started down the road sputtering jerking like it was out of gas but had at 1/4 tank(It didn't do this on first trip out) so I put 10$ in the tank,but it didn't help (i know this question has been beat to death) but i'm really lost here and don't have the cash to throw at it,I bought this as a toy, I hope i'm not going to regret this. I really like it but i'm too old to push it,Can someone please help me figure out where to start. THANKS

P.S. 140k-and has sat for a long time

do a compression check to see how the valves are seating. you want all the numbers within 10-15% of each other at the worst, and ideally all close. that's high enough milage to have carboned seats. a compression check will also show a cracked head and/or head gasket fault, and ring condition.

go to sears and get one of those $10 spark testers you hold against the plug wires to determine if it's an intermittent spark, and pull the plugs to see how each cylinder is burning. that will also show if you have antifreeze in the combustion chamber.

if that all checks out spritz some raw gas in the intake to see if it's a fuel starve condition.

I'm not going to answer a lot of the same troublshooting questions, but you need
compression
spark at the right time
fuel in the right mix

for any engine to run... and it's fine tune after that.
trouble shooting is merely making sure each piece of the puzzle is in place and process of elimination you zero in on the specific problem.

too many times I've taken something for granted chasing phantoms.

Back