New computer chip add much more power?

Craig

I have a 93 YJ 4.0L and am thinking about adding a chip to the computer. I've seen prices ranging anywhere from $150 all the way up to $300 canadian for a chip. I was just wondering if there is any that are better than the others and if they're really worth the investment. Do they add that much more power? I've heard that some chips do absolutely nothing and that some will add power low end and some top end. So whats the deal with them???[addsig]

i don't know if its true or not, but i heard that the chips change the fuel air ratio.. so the engine gets more air then normal so it makes a bigger bang and gives out more power. i couldn't tell you which one were better than the other.[addsig]

My friend has a Jet stage II chip in his 97 Tj and he noticed a bigger difference after that as opposed to exhaust and FIPK. I'm sure the difference was partally due to the previous upgrades. He also noticed a gain in feul economy.[addsig]

I have a Stage 1 Jet Chip in my 98 4.0L and I did notice a difference. I had the chip prior to the FIPK and did notice a difference in hp and torque. With the addition of the following: bored out throttle body/spacer, Flowmaster muffler, and FIPK, there was a significant difference noted. I have noticed about a 2 mpg increase in gas mileage...that is if I keep my foot out of the floorboard!!
image-missing.png
Take care, Patti
image-missing.png
[addsig]

sometomes, and I repeat SOMETIMES changing the chip can be a bad thing. If you go to a super high performance chip and don't adjust parts on the motor, you'll make the motor work too hard. The parts in the motor were not all designed to act high perfprmance and they could wear out quicker. This is what I've heard from people that are car mechanics (my uncle and others). They said that they figured this out because alot of kids were showing up at his shop with messed up engines. Then all the mechanics noticed they all put in high performance chips and were all street racers. Not to say this still happens or will. I just know that this is one drawback I've heard of in the past.[addsig]

Back