The right lockers

freebird2

So, I'm interested in going with 4.88 gears and I'm considering adding some lockers. This is a daily driver and I want something that I don't notice until I need it off road. I've done some reviews and I'm still not sure which to go for. Anyone got some good advice on lockers for the daily driver? I take it off road about twice a month.

Definitely a selectable locker then. ARB air locker, OX Locker, Eaton E-locker. If you want to save some money you could go with a limited slip differential, but you wouldn't get the same performance offroad.

Detroit Truetrac is a good limited slip if you want a better price than a selectable locker. They work well offroad with 33" tires and are invisible onroad.

Any help on getting the right ring and pinon overhaul kit, this a first for me so I don't want to miss anything. Also if I do get lockers is there anything I may need to know about the installation? Any help on a location for to check out?

I use Randy's ring and pinion, they will help you with EVERYTHING you need for installing them. Kits, shims, even tools.

4x4

I need help..just got a jeep..and im learning about it little by little..
any idead on where i can finde good instruction os how to use the 4x4?

How deep are your pockets? When I ran my jeep on the road, I had detroits front and rear, there were one or two small quirks, but they are the most indestructable and forgiving locker out there. but I also have manual hubs on the front, so I can't give a good report on the steering characteristics. When I had the stock axles, I had at one time lunch box lockers front and rear, other than the clicking, never noticed them, when the front locker blew up, I simply welded it with TJ shafts, other than tight turn chirps from the front axle, no issues on the street.

I would go Lunch box lockers for the price and ability to be easily serviced, but on the other end, if your regearing and have the carrier out, might as well put a ARB in the front and rear, Not sure on your axles or current gear ratio, but your most likely going to have to change carriers anyways.

I would not recommend the E-locker only because I have seen one that was very difficult to keep locked over a series of trail rides and eventually failed. This was only one locker, but it was also the only one I have ever seen.

Re: 4x4

I need help..just got a jeep..and im learning about it little by little..
any idead on where i can finde good instruction os how to use the 4x4?
put in nuetral, or push in the clutch and pull the t case shifter back. into 4wd hi or lo, point and shoot

Back