Jeep Lift issue/ Shock Size

I am new to Jeepz, but I did search the forum and I believe I have a unique problem. First some background: I just recently purchased a 99 jeep wrangler 5speed 6cyl. The guy advertized it as having 4inches of lift. I noticed a body lift, and a spacer lift. The rear spacers are red and measure just shy of 2in, the front ones were red, but look to be spray painted. Then I noticed some extremely country welding on top of what looks like a steel spacer... IS that thing stock? I did notice one of the rear stock shocks were blown, so I decided to throw in 4 new shocks. That is where my issue began. I first bough Rancho 5000, and the rears when I hit the speed bump in my parking lot made a loud clank in the rear only, like they were botteming out. So I returned them to advanced auto parts when I received my Skyjacker nitro 8000s from Quadratec. Now the rear shocks on the Skyjackers feel like they are botteming out also, but with out the loud clank. To me it feels like it does not have enough travel in the rear. If you look at the picture attached, there is at best 2inches of travel, and the boot is completely compressed to the point on the driver side it rubs the frame. Addl info: It has 33 12.50 tires. and I am not an extreme off-road person, I like the occasional off-road, but I am far from trailering in my jeep to rock crawl.

Also he told me part of the lift he had a kit to drop the radiator down some? If that helps, it goes 80mph with no wobble or steering issues.

That is my issue, and here are some of my questions to try to solve the issue.
Is my Jeep lifted 4inches in the front and 2 in the rear?
If so, Could that be adding more compression on the rear?
Basically could the front being higher, make the rear compress to be lower?
Should I step down to the stock rear shock length?
If so, has anyone ever delt with Quadratech on exchanges?
Look at the pictues, and help point me in a direction.

Rear Part #: (sujested for 2 in lift)
Quadratec Part No: 16016.204
Manufacturer Part No: N8018R

Front Part# (sujested for 2 in lift)
Quadratec Part No: 16016.203
Manufacturer Part No: N8016R

Attachments

• CIMG2524.JPG
    CIMG2524.JPG
    245.9 KB · Views: 563
  • CIMG2528.JPG
    CIMG2528.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 401
  • CIMG2529.JPG
    CIMG2529.JPG
    254.4 KB · Views: 256
  • CIMG2530.JPG
    CIMG2530.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 267
  • CIMG2531.JPG
    CIMG2531.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:

Welcome to Jeepz!!

From the photos it looks like there is about a 1 inch body lift in there. Also, the front spring spacers look awfully tall. Looks like something home made on top of about a two inch regular spacer (like you said, the "country welding"). The rears look like about a two inch normal spacer. So, your front springs might be stock and the rears could be from a lift kit (about two inches more). So, it looks like your springs do not match (stock in front, two inch lift in rear) and they levelled out the Jeep with the home made extensions in front. The clearance between your rear shock and the frame looks awfully tight - Is the other side the same or further away? Might be because of the track bar. Maybe the shocks are for a higher lift and are too far collapsed. Best of luck - John

Yes after looking at other pics online the front is for sure some "country" welding. I am the one who replaced the shocks, and I ordered them for a 2 in spacer lift. (Before I realized the front was 4 inches) but my problem is in the rear. The rear shocks are squating too much, so when I hit a bum i can feel the shocks hit bottem, and that is not normal. Any ideas how to fix it? I am thinking 3inch spacer in the rear, and then a 1in t-case drop?

Back