Paint?

islandguy89

ok guys i want to paint my jeep i dont have an air compressor so i think that i am going to use spray cans what do you think do you have any tips or ideas or anything a lot of people have told me to keep it looking like an ISLANDER but i dont think that i want to what do you think?

Attachments

• 100_1612.JPG
    100_1612.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 292

I am in the process of painting mine and im going to use a colored do it yourself bed liner paint that is uv protected. I figured i will not have to worry about rust forming again, or atleast for the life of the jeep, and and scratches and chips from wheeling would be an easy fix because you just paint right back over it.

The cost of all the spray cans you may as well buy a small compressor and gun.If you are looking for cheap and have patience use a roll on paint.Although the pic you posted it looks like the paint is in good shape.

Painting is harder than you thing (at least to do a good job). Even doing a bad job is pretty hard ;)

Are you going to paint the interior and the exterior? You'll need to remove everything from the Jeep - seats, signals, flares, etc. Then rough up any rust spots and fix them, clean it well, and shoot it.

I agree that buying 20 rattle cans will cost the same as a small 10 gallon compressor from walmart and a gun. Worth the money IMO

The best thing that you can do is take your time and do it right.

Personally, i would retain the original paint and decals as it is getting rare to find now a days to find those islander Jeeps with the original decals. If it that paint looks as good as it does in the pic. i would suggest a good coat of a clear coat to bring it back to life. Rattle can paint jobs are not easy to work with since they leave a trail of overspray as you do every pass on the surface and the final paint job. In the end it will look real cheap and unprofessional IMO. The only good looking paint job's i've ever seen out there out of a rattle can are the ones painted with a camouflage pattern and the solid dark olive green thats either a flat or matte finish, since it's a dull finish, you don't see the overspray as much if any.. I think the current yellow paint color gives it a good compliment with the black and the original decals and makes the entire Jeep just pop like a big rig. I agree that if you decide to paint it yourself, your better off investing on a HVLP paint gun and a compressor that will support the CFM demands for the paint gun to function and perform properly to get the optimum results on your project. I've painted several of my personnal cars from the past including airbrushing the flames and different themes and the most important part of the process is preparation work. You can be the best painter but if you have a shotty prep work, the whole thing goes with it. Just my opinion.

I would keep the paint stock, I love those old Islander jobs. Saw one at the Silver Lake Sand Dunes a couple weeks ago. Looked great!

I agree that buying 20 rattle cans will cost the same as a small 10 gallon compressor from walmart and a gun. Worth the money IMO

Not if you go with the $.80 Walmart rattle cans :D Haha!

But I agree, don't go with rattle canning it. What you have now looks way better than it would rattling it (and that goes for both flat and gloss).

There is a trick to rattle canning that makes the paint blend together overspray disapear and bubbles go away and it gives you a smooth flawless aftermath but you have to be quick. You need to spray the clear coat WHILE the paint is still wet--we all know how fast spray paint dries so you are either very fast with your hands or you put a thicker coat that doesnt' dry as fast and take the risk of drippage.

looks good now why ruin it with a spray can than it would look getto!!!!!
where are you located Im in colorado if your close I can help you do a real nice paint job if you are interested
here are two I already painted but the flattie is still not together
image-missing.png

image-missing.png

s-1.jpg

:beer: looks alot better than a spray can and not getto:D:D

I'm in agreement with keeping the original Islander paint or changing to the flat military green paint scheme. Anything else would look cheap.

I think it looks fine from the picture as well. I would like to see more. I've never heard of the package. What makes the buggy special besides the paint??

I decided that i am going to keep it Islander i found a place that can make the decals for me and i found the place that can get me the orginal top banana yellow paint or the new solar yellow paint still deciding on that i will post some more pics of the islander in a little bit.I actually just bought a pair of orginal islander half doors with top for $275 off of craigslist (picking up tomorrow) the only thing that i am not sure about the top is that it is grey not to sure how its going to look with the yellow but the top is only 1 yr old

ISLANDER BUILD UP PICS
NEW front and rear seats front are grey bestop seats rear is a stock jeep seat that says jeep all over it

Chrome grill cover
added the rubber bumpers on the front
NEW relay
NEW 900 cold cranking amp battery
upgraded starter
I have a light bar but its not on yet
NEW middle console
2" Performance accesories body lift
4" tuff country suspension lift
5 35" BFG all terrain t/a tires
2 12" audiobahn subs in box
MA audio 1000 watt amp
this is so far lot more to come with tax return

Attachments

• 100_1199.JPG
    100_1199.JPG
    1,009.9 KB · Views: 178
  • 100_1201.JPG
    100_1201.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 157
  • 100_1202.JPG
    100_1202.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 174
  • 100_1613.JPG
    100_1613.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 186
  • 100_1796.JPG
    100_1796.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 180
what do you guys think of my build up so far i have the soft top with half doors comming tomorrow pics are on my previous post

Back