Intake and Carb Upgrade for 304??????

I like the GM style throttle body injection systems because they don't stall on step asending or desending grades. Second best to an all out EFI conversion. :shades:

I have an Edelbrock Performer intake with a 600cfm Performer carb on my 360.Big improvement over stock,but I've heard the Holley Truck Avenger carb does better at steep angles.

I like the GM style throttle body injection systems because they don't stall on step asending or desending grades. Second best to an all out EFI conversion. :shades:
What engine and intake are you reffering to on this GM TBI? do you have a 304 or a 360?

What engine and intake are you reffering to on this GM TBI? do you have a 304 or a 360?

My 72 cj5 had a 304. I had a carb on it, but the adapter plate is easy to make. And the wire harness n controller isn't hard. I converted my YJ to EFI but that was a kit with the speed sensor, manifold and all. :shades:

My 72 cj5 had a 304. I had a carb on it, but the adapter plate is easy to make. And the wire harness n controller isn't hard. I converted my YJ to EFI but that was a kit with the speed sensor, manifold and all. :shades:
You have my attention. Is it possible to post out all the components and sources for this conversion?, maybe Dempsy could also be interested with this as this would be a better option. I myself has been contemplating on which upgrade i could do for my fuel delivery to possibly be more efficient. I appreciate your time. And Pics would also be great.

Had thought about it but lets remember Im a beginner at this. I shimmed up my rear axel today and got my drive shaft out of a bad bind and put in my new shackles' may taje them off the rear though pretty bouncy now, or that could just be the lift since the drive shaft was in such a bind after outting it on I could not drive it. Got a LOT of vibration when going over 25 too. Now my next step is to hopefully figure out this axle swap it needs to be wider and got to work on the steering also have lots of play and VERY jerky. One day maybe it will be ready!!! Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to not be able to drive your Jeep!!!! I'm going nuts!!!!!

All input is very welcomed!!!!!! Thanks guys

get new u-joints and a hi speed balance on the shaft. if the vibs persist, is your front shaft also true, if not and you accidentally left a hub locked, you'll feel it.
When you lifted, did you simply re-use your drive shaft?

if all else fails check your tires, make sure they are balanced.

On 'Black Betty' running a Performer dual plane intake with a Carter AFB 'Black Stallion' carb~typical AFB with black powder coating whoopie doo :rolleyes:
Used to run this carb on my 350 chevy back in the '80's all I had to do was change the needle springs and jets and wha la. I love these Carters.

You have my attention. Is it possible to post out all the components and sources for this conversion?, maybe Dempsy could also be interested with this as this would be a better option. I myself has been contemplating on which upgrade i could do for my fuel delivery to possibly be more efficient. I appreciate your time. And Pics would also be great.

Here is a KIT sold by TC. . . they utilize GM TBI systems and are a reliable company. They can basically convert any motor to TBI. The plate I was refering to goes under the throttle body to the Intake man to adapt it and the other components can be bought at wrecking yard.

Turbo City - Rock-It Parts

The EFI I refered to for my YJ was a kit sold buy Quadratec for the I6's and basically utilized '93 Chrysler Jeep components. I sold both vehicles years ago.

$1600 for a kit?? NO WAY you can put together a chevy system for less than $300. There are very few pieces you need for the TBI setup. You will need a throttle body unit. computer control coolant temp sensor--a 192-195 degree thermostat and an oxygen sensor. TBI's will run rich if you use a 180 as the computer "Thinks" your engine has not warmed up properly yet. External TBI fuel pumps will set you back between $60-$100 depending on where you get one from. Airtex part # is E8094 You will want to purchase the O2 sensor new it costs a whopping $19.99 any junkyard will produce all of the other parts and a 4 BBL intake to TBI adapter is simple to make at home with basic tools. the computer can come from any TBI equipped vehicle. you simply revers 2 wires to tell the computer if it is controlling a 6 cylinder or 8 cylinder or you can build a megasquirt controller. Full list of components:
Fuel pump 12-17 PSI
Throttle Body Unit
Idle Air Control Valve--Generally part of TB unit
Throttle Position Sensor--Again part of TB unit
MAP Sensor
Oxygen Sensor-Add a bung to your existing exhaust.
Coolant Temp sensor
Computer Control
1 piece of scrap aluminum plate 1" thick to make adapter for 4BBL to TBI.

get new u-joints and a hi speed balance on the shaft. if the vibs persist, is your front shaft also true, if not and you accidentally left a hub locked, you'll feel it.
When you lifted, did you simply re-use your drive shaft?

if all else fails check your tires, make sure they are balanced.

When I put the lift on we did the front first and it drove good then a couple weekwnds later we did the back and it went to crap from there ride vibration everything!!

Back