Total Dummy YJ Question, re: Tires

rohdawg11

I own what was a completely stock 89 YJ. I've been s-l-o-w-l-y upgrading stuff and recently completed a 2 1/2 lift on it. (P.I.T.A.) I have done a lot of research and can't find a straight answer on this question, hoping for some advice. I'm running 30x9.5 on stock 96 Wrangler wheels, what can I upgrade to? I'm looking at some sweet Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's and would like to go 33x12.5 if possible without having to buy new wheels (budget). Anybody know?
:shades:
Thanks in advance

Depending on the size of the rims, you may need to upgrade. I'm running 31x10.50R15's on 15x8 rims, fit is pretty nice. I'm not sure what the offset is. You may see some rub with the 12.50 width.

I'm running some Spidertrax spacers on mine, 1 1/2 in. I like them. That should eliminate any rub I would think. The reason I ask is I was "gifted" the wheels and current tires by a friend who went hog wild with his '96. I'm unsure of the rim size so thought I'd ask. 31 or 32x10.5's should be nice, I was being optimistic.

Thanks for the reply.

Stock wheels are usually about 7 or 8 inches wide. I wouldn't go over about 11 inches wide or you may get into bead issues. I would go 31X10.5's. :shades:

I just put 31's on my 95 YJ, kept the stock 15" wheels, and noticed when turning I get rub. Should I get spacers for both the front and back or just for the front? Just front will stop the rub but will they stick out further that the rear and heaven for bid look funny?

I just put 31's on my 95 YJ, kept the stock 15" wheels, and noticed when turning I get rub. Should I get spacers for both the front and back or just for the front? Just front will stop the rub but will they stick out further that the rear and heaven for bid look funny?

Yes they would stick out further if you only got them in the front.For the cost of 4 spacers you can pick up new rims with more backspacing and do the same job.

You can put 33"x12.5" tires on a stock 7" or 8" wide wheel. You have to run slightly lower air pressure on the street to keep from wearing the middle of the tire tread, but they work fine. The wider tire on a narrower rim helps protect the rim when offroad and reduces the chance of losing a bead at lower tire pressure.

You can not fit 33" tires on a YJ with only 2.5" of lift, you need a minimum of 4" of lift unless you open up the fenderwells a lot.

Thanks for the advice everybody. I settled on some nice Goodyear MT/R's 32x11.50R15. Oh yeah, and those new Mickey Thompson Signature series wheels. I'll let you know!:shades:

Back