lift shackles???

Bad and uggly. They will change the pinion angle, and put more stress on the shackle mounts.

Heavy duty shackles with moderate lift (1/2" or 1") aren't a bad idea imo, but I wouldn't go any bigger. Having a longer shackle can actually increase suspension articulation if you have longer lift springs, which is why Rubicon Express includes 1/2" lift shackles with their 4.5" CJ lift kit. Large shackle lifts are ugly, protrusive, and will mess up your pinion angle.

Leverage and angles... not good! Everyone has seen a set of chrome shackles with all their glorious bolt holes on the rear of a Camaro or equiv. They have no place on 4X4's...even the grocery getters. While the Camaro has them on the rear - much more forgivable, a 4X4 must have them on the front as well. Bad form! Don't go there. Do some homework and invest in a quality lift that suits your needs.

Heavy duty shackles with moderate lift (1/2" or 1") aren't a bad idea imo, but I wouldn't go any bigger. Having a longer shackle can actually increase suspension articulation if you have longer lift springs, which is why Rubicon Express includes 1/2" lift shackles with their 4.5" CJ lift kit. Large shackle lifts are ugly, protrusive, and will mess up your pinion angle.

This is a good point; boomerang shackles are about 1/2 inch longer than stock, and they are pretty good (the help clear the rear crossmember under max flex) and then you need matching HD straight shacles for the front. This is what I have on my Jeep currently, but be advised that even such a small lift WILL affect the pinion angle. Also make sure that the new shacles are stronger than the originals...

Back