Broke it on the trail today...

iraq_vet_x2

Gents, i went wheelin' today and got stuck...happens right...

Anyway, I was rocking myself out of it and almost there when suddenly I had nothing, no forward or reverse out of my NV3550 with external slave, and an NP231. After a buddy pulled me out, I still had nothing as I shifted through the gears. I tried putting it in and out of 4H, 4L and 2H, but still nothing. Either I did something to the slave, the clutch, or the t-case....

Any thoughts?

If your able to shift and hear the gears in the trans spin but not move the Jeep, i would suspect that the issue is in the T.Case like a broken Chain or a severed output shaft.

Well, it looks like it's going to be the clutch actually. I pulled the external slave to see if I could get a finger or two in the bellhousing and was greeted by quite a bit of muddy pine straw that found its way in there. My guess now is that I've got a cluch that's filled with dried up mud and debris. Thursday I'm going to split the pack and I'll let you know what I find once I get in there.

Enjoy the pic! (yes i was on my way to a meeting...which i didn't make it to.)

Attachments

• CIMG3677.jpg
    CIMG3677.jpg
    633.6 KB · Views: 68

I have a CenterforceII clutch kit. I have heard that the little weights that help it lock up tighter as the rpm's increase, can also cause the clutch to remain disengaged if they get packed with mud. I try to stay out of the mud now.

Next clutch will be a LUK gold.

I'd like to hear that excuse??Cause I'm like an old dog in heat when I'm driving around, just looking for that break in the tree line..

HA! Actually the excuse was honesty... I told the boss that I took a short cut and had a breakdown along the way. See...totally honest!
Coppers Cove huh? I was at Hood for four years myself, I think there was some pretty good at out by BLORA, but I never made it out there.

That was definitely a variation of the truth.8) There are a few good spots left around, but every year we have to drive farther and farther away...Right now I've been stuck in South Korea for the past 12 months. only 21 days left and I figure 4 days after that I'll have my own broke down and ticketed story to tell.:D

Ok, well I got the thing moving down the road again. The collar and the input shaft on the transmission were stuck together. Also, the clutch prongs had dried up mud jammed between them and the hosing, making them stay depressed all the time. I took a bead blaster to it and got all that cleaned out, so that's in good working order now. My newest problem is that the throttle is sticking. It seems to be occuring inside the carb, but I won't know till I get in there. Anyone ever had this problem before? I'll let yall know what I find once I get in there.

Alright, I got the carb apart...and i do me completely apart...and found a myriad of problems. All is cleaned out now and back in. She's idling like never before! there was some mud in there, but i'm not sure if it made its way in there via the fuel tank or the intake. I'm leaning towards the fuel tank though and it will probably be the next item to get flushed out.

Back