brakes

cheech66

i have a jeep unlimited 2006 and the brakes are goin bad!! I had a moron mechanic replace the front rotors(he said they needed to be done) and that was about 20,000 ago!! I have 60,000 on my jeep and the rotors and pads up front are shot again, my belief is that he replaced the rotor and not the pads which makes him a moron. i am going to do the front brakes my self this time, my question is do you guys think i should change the back brakes to?? i realized that the back brakes are tougher to do being they are drum disc with lots of pins and springs to disconncet and replace. i am wondering how many miles you guys put on your jeep before you mess with the back brakes any help here would be great!!!!!! so so long!!

Check the brake pads condition first before you replace it.. I normally won't bother with it unless it's under 40% of brake lining left..

The 2006 model comes with drum brakes in the rear? I thought somewhere in the tj-age they started putting discs all the way around:scratch:

Drums aren't that bad to do. If you're able to change out the front rotors you'll be fine with the drums.

Just remember not to have the parking brake on when trying to change the rear drums...I've done that like 3 times now :eek:

My 05 has 75K miles on it, and I had a similar situation - the previous owner let the fronts wear down to metal, then replaced only the pads. The rotors were shot, and I had to replace both the rotors and pads myself. Luckily rotors and pads are pretty cheap for Wranglers.

I haven't changed the rear brakes yet.

I think it was 2003 or 2004 they went to 4 wheel disc brakes as an option. Don't quote me on that though.

The 2006 model comes with drum brakes in the rear? I thought somewhere in the tj-age they started putting discs all the way around:scratch:
Dont be surprised to see some of e'm running around with drums on the rear.. They are out there. Why? i don't know.

drums are in the rear on mine for sure and im hoping the front brake replacrment will do the trick!!!

hand brake still comin up all the way and not holding!!?? replaced front brakes and they are great but my parking brake wont hold?? I looked underneath and the cable is stretched showing new thread can I adjust there i.e. tighten the bolt at the thread or will that mess up the rear drum any help would be great tks!!!!

Did you check inside the drums and see if your shoes are worn out? The E brake will ride higher as the shoes wear and eventually may not hold at all. If the shoes are OK and they are adjusted correctly then you can adjust the E brake cable. Just make sure it's all the way released when the handle is down. The E brake cable should not get out of adjustment with use... Someone has played with it before, it has become damaged, or your shoes are not right.

BTW... my 05 X has drums. I remember the Rubicons on the lot had rear disk... I like the drums - they could have been ten or eleven inch, though. Best of luck - John

Rear brakes should not be need till about 80-90K miles if you do a lot of highway driving.

Back