I was wondering why it was so tipsy...

TJ_Jeep

Well i driving home from school today and noticed that the jeep was a little more tipsy and well look at the pic and you'll see why. But my question is it still safe to drive it until fixed or am i risking my life?

Attachments

• 0828091508.jpg
    0828091508.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 53

.....and it broke last night i didn't know what it was until i looked today.When i crossed a ditch i think over flexed

Sway bar? I remember when my buddy broke his TJ's sway bar in the exact same location and he continued to drive on it until he had it fixed. I would still drive it until it gets fixed, just drive accordingly (no quick maneuvers or turns). I ditched the sway bar on my CJ years ago, but i expect it's different with coil springs.

OK thanks for the help. when you turn now it leans ALOT!

I agree that it is certainly drivable without a "anti-sway" bar but would definitely get it fixed if this is your daily driver.

All the talk about no abrupt maneuvers and no sharp turns is fine and dandy until you are in a situation where you can't help it, such as accident avoidance. You have no control of the cars around you, nor can you predict when an animal or pedestrian is going to lurch out in front of you.

There are all kinds of stories about guys that drive without anti-sway bars and have gotten away with it but that's no guarantee you will. It is there to control unwanted and unsafe body roll and if you drive on the street your rig should have one. Even a Currie Anti-Rock, which allows some slop, is better than nothing on the road.

I've daily driven my jeep for years with no sway bar and have been just fine. As you found out, it handles different then with it on...but just adjust your driving too it.

I've daily driven my jeep for years with no sway bar and have been just fine. As you found out, it handles different then with it on...but just adjust your driving too it.

Yea but your running leaf springs in your 88 (unless you changed them to coils) and I think leafs are going to be more stable than coils in a turn. To each their own, but Jeeps are tippy enough on the road with the anti sway bar; if it is a DD I would fix it.

Back