Weird TJ Manual transmission sound?

slavic98tj

This started to happen recently.

When i Turn the ignition on to my 98' TJ. Even in Neutral, the 5 speed manual transmission has this funny sound to it.... as if there's something lose in there. It sounds really bad when im parked uphill and taking off in the 1st gear, than it sounds like something in knocking the in transmission... BUT as soon as i gain some speed and get out of 1st gear, the sound goes away almost completely.

My first guess is the Fly wheel, but what do i know, im not a mechanic.

IF THE FORUM REQUESTS IT... I'll upload a video, if it helps

Weird,(not tryin to hi-jack your thread) but mine has been doing the same thing, with the clutch out you can hear something spinning/loose in there and when taking off in first there's this kinda knocking sound, i figured it was just a jeep thing haha

A similar thing happened to me I would check the transmission fluid, also it could be bad gears. That' s what happened to mine I had to replace my gears in the front and back.

Weird,(not tryin to hi-jack your thread) but mine has been doing the same thing, with the clutch out you can hear something spinning/loose in there and when taking off in first there's this kinda knocking sound, i figured it was just a jeep thing haha

Yes That pretty much sums it up. This is the first time a thing like this is happening to my 10 year old jeep. Otherwise It only has 68,000 miles.

A similar thing happened to me I would check the transmission fluid, also it could be bad gears. That' s what happened to mine I had to replace my gears in the front and back.

I've Checked the fluids months before this happen. It was at the correct Level.

Back