CJ 7 Frame

Langylang

Hello all, I am looking at a frame someone has for sale and was wondering how do I know what it is? They clame it is cj7, how would I know the difference? Also, I was wondering how to tell if the frame is bent? Do I just pull some diaganol measuements from corner to corner? One last question, if I do purchase, does anybody know how getting a title would work for this? Thanks.

A Wrangler frame is fully boxed, so if there's open C channel, it's pre-Wrangler. You will have to know the length of a CJ7 frame to tell it from a 5,6,or 8.

Yes, measuring the diagonals should help tell if it's bent or tweaked. It's not sure-fire on getting a perfect frame, but it will help the chances.

Getting a title for your jeep once it's on this frame will vary state by state, but most states likely require you keeping a receipt or bill of sale for every major component, the frame being one of them. Then you have to get your newly assembled vehicle inspected, usually by the highway patrol, who then issues you a VIN and title.

A Wrangler frame is fully boxed, so if there's open C channel, it's pre-Wrangler. You will have to know the length of a CJ7 frame to tell it from a 5,6,or 8.

Actually the boxed frames started with the 1976 CJ, prior to that at least where the CJ is concerned, the only other boxed frames will be the Renegade package offered from (I think) 68 or 69 to 71. (I will have to check the exact years.)

The VIN number should be stamped on the top of the frame if it is what they say it is. You can decode it and know for sure. The OEM factory manual or Chilton's will have the frame specs. I can post some links to the specs and the vin number codes later.

That would be awesome if you could post those links. I wasn't sure if the VIN was on the frame or not, it would be great if it still is. Thanks.

If you are looking for a frame you can check out craigs list. Sometimes they have frames and other jeep parts. You can order a new frame from Billings, MT. Depends on how much you want to spend. Good luck and welcome to the z's

What is the name of the company? I found quadratec's website, wow, $1800 for a new frame. Actually, that is pretty tempting.

Back