noob tj top questions

goldtj

not sure if i'm posting in the proper place-i'm a noob!have had jeep fever since i was a baby,but just now got the machine-2003 tj wrangler sport.i need some advice on tops-i have the hardtop,but want to have options for bikini/safari top,and need to know the particulars!i scored a set of half doors and full soft top from a yj,but it doesn't fit-different latch location,different windshield rake,etc,etc!anyway,would like advice from someone!i have been doing a lot of research online,which led to me joining this forum!most of the stuff i look at says all tj parts from 98-06 are interchangeable,but some say 2003-2006 is different.do you have to have soft top half-doors and window surrounds in order to do a soft and/or bikini or safari top?most everything i see says you need a windshield header to use.i need advice from a pro who has been through all this!thanks,scott

As far as I can remember you will need the windshield header. And don't forget about the bows as well.

Welcome to Jeep Fever! It is an incurable disease with the main side effect being an empty wallet.

While the basic design of the tubs between the CJ7, Wrangler YJ, and the TJ are the same there are some differences between the jeeps other than the front clips. For example, the windshield of the TJ had to moved forward at the bottom 8" to accommodate the air bags and the strikes on the doors are different between the YJ & TJ to name a few.

I have not done it myself but I have heard that you should be able to just change the strikes out between the YJ & the TJ doors and make them work with maybe a little adjustment to the hinges. I'm not an expert in later model TJs.

The YJ uses a small channel screwed the windshield that the front of the top, full or bikini, slides into while the TJ has a large front piece that clips on to the top of the windshield like the hardtop does. You can pick up the YJ channel and screw it into you windshield and use the bikini. The hardware between the YJ & TJ full soft tops is completely different. The bow system on the TJ attaches to the roll bar and the YJ attaches to channels that attaches to the top of the back portion of the tub. Also, the TJ has plastic pieces that attach to the top of tub and the roll bar just behind the door. The short answerer to your question is find a TJ top, preferably an OEM top so you have the bow system and related parts that originally came with a TJ. The good news about Wrangler tops is you can get them with the upgraded "Sailcloth". It is a heavy duty material that is a lot quieter than the old stuff and is worth the money in my opinion.

Back