1. rear a frame on cherokee sport 2.4

Hi all has anyone got any Pic`s on the rear suspension upper arm and ball joint my one is jumping around like a good one worn out. I can not find any pic`s to show me what to do ? to replace it.
    regards to tricky

Question Re: rear a frame on cherokee sport 2.4

Quote Originally Posted by tricky-1948 View Post
    Hi all has anyone got any Pic`s on the rear suspension upper arm and ball joint my one is jumping around like a good one worn out. I can not find any pic`s to show me what to do ? to replace it.
    regards to tricky

the rear is leaf springs??? you mean front ball joints ?? the ball joints press out, with a tool you can rent from most auto places...
    Current rides:
    57"cj3b, getting restoflyed :)
    95"yj, now on 33's
    93"xj, 37" r.i.p.
    02"wj, 33" km2's, and h.o.
    98" xj a wanta be rock krawler

" bent, broke & twisted ( 4x4 club ) " are you?
    http://www.bbnt4x4.org/

Re: rear a frame on cherokee sport 2.4

Hi all there seem to be some confusion regarding my post ? on my Cherokee sport 2.4 2002 on the rear end I have a suspension bar or arm which is called a rear upper ball joint suspension arm which is located on top of the rear axle ? this is badly worn I can not find any pic`s to show me what there is to take apart or weather I can remove it and just fit a new ball joint. it look`s like it has worn away the frame so I would need to buy a complete set up ?

regards Tricky

This might not be a Cherokee like ours here in the US. They dropped the Cherokee here in 2001 (unfortunately, since it was the best built modern car on the market). I wonder if this Jeep might be equiv. to our Grand which would have an "A" frame type upper axle control arm over the rear axle. That would have three pivot points. If the bushings are shot far enough to allow the bolts to chew into the "A" frame you might need a whole new assembly. Any wrecking yards near by? Best of luck - John

Isn't the Liberty called the 'Cherokee' overseas? I too though this was a non-US vehicle question. Not sure what vehicle it is with IRS.

Hi all further to my question regarding the rear A frame on my Cherokee, well it`s the same as the liberty.
    I have now found out that it is called the rear suspension arm which has a large ball joint that is fixed to the rear axle that had gone.
    so the liberty and the sport are the same vehicle, so would just like to thank all for the help.
    best regards Tricky.

<H3>REMOVAL

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
    2. Support the rear axle with a hydraulic jack.
    3. Remove the ball joint pinch bolt from the top of the axle. Separate the ball joint arm assembly from the differential housing by prying upwards.
    4. Remove the upper suspension arm from the vehicle .
    5. Secure the suspension arm in a vise.
    6. Install special tools C-4212F (press), 8861-3 (driver) and 8861-2 (receiver
    7. Press out the old ball joint.
    </H3>
    Confucious says: Don't eat the snow where the huskies go!

Nice documentation, Steelheadz... That should help out big time!

Why in the world did they build it that way? With the Wrangler's fairly durable, easy to work on, low cost rear suspension you'd think they would have just put it under the Libby as well. I guess there would be no need for a track bar with that set up and if you lift the Libby the axle will stay centered (not shift to the side like a Wrangler). You learn new stuff every day - John