new '81 cj-7, question about the 360 AMC (or chrysler? same thing?) in it...

JBEN

I recently picked up an 81 cj-7. Complete with it's few issues. Now, call me stupid, or whatever, that's fine, but I'm learning everything about engines from scratch with this one. My question is: I'm trying to figure out what the big silver tube-like thing is coming out of the front of the engine. It's about 6-7 inches tall. Is it supposed to have some kind of filter or something on it? and where (this is the stupid question!!) the heck do I check the oil and put the oil? I have scoured the entire engine for an oil dipstick and all I've found is the oil filter.
ANY help would be appreciated.

--JBEN

Chances are, you have a 304 AMC V8. the dipstick is located on the driver side along the valve cover almost under the brake master cylinder. That tube like thingy coming out of the front section top of the intake manifold is the oil filler tube. The filter looking thingy is the fill cap. Pull it straight up and it will come out.

That's good to know. The problem I have THEN is that there is NO fill cap on that tube. Which means, it probably sucks air and dirt could be getting in there. I imagine that is not good. Especially since the fill cap has a filter on it.

That's good to know. The problem I have THEN is that there is NO fill cap on that tube. Which means, it probably sucks air and dirt could be getting in there. I imagine that is not good. Especially since the fill cap has a filter on it.
It's supposed to be a vented cap. If its the original cap, it will have a hose going to the air filter housing. And yes, they somewhat look like a filter.

Back