93 eating fuel/ecu fuses

m&m

the problem started yesterday, driving along and she just stopped. i figured the fuel pump went out cause she is getting no fuel and i didnt hear anything. Tonight i went to try and fix her and i noticed a blown fuse, replaced it same thing. Looked in back and the trailer brake was wired into the fuel pump harness, took that off and tied up all the spliced wires and bam nothing.

She is eating fuses like a fat kid at a cake store, any suggestions or similar problems??????

yj, i'm bad with the little things lol. Well i did some digging and found people having similar problems from a bad o2 sensor to a bad automatic shut down. After work the gremlin hunt shall begin.

Last edited:
I had the same problem on a 94 yj, I chased the problem to a wire on the fron of the block that after years and worn through the shielding and loom and was grounding out.

I ordered a new fuel pump/sending unit housing. The unit had some bad rusted leads so i figure i would start there and hope for the best. I traced all the wires and nothing, they are all intact no fraying or melted goodness anywhere. The fuel pump housing should be in today.....wish me luck i would like to enjoy my new jeep already

Ok so i put in a new fuel pump/sending unit, replaced the o2 and auto disable relay and spent the last two hours tracing wires and nothing. Any other suggestions?

Update and a sore head from all the scratching

Ok so my update is as follows.........got it checked out by a mechanic, they say that the a/c unit wiring is causing the fuse to blow.....i dont have a/c?????

There was no exposed wires grounding out or any other wires grounding out, so a few hundred dollars later my jeep is back in the driveway still totally immobile and now im a little more frustrated cause i'm out some cash. Any other ideas guys???? I;m running out of patience and money. I want to start the mods but damn!!!!:evil:

welcome to the wonderful world of jeep ownership:D

Disconnect the A/C clutch connector and see if the fuse still blows. If it doesn't, the A/C clutch and or the clamping diode is causing the issue to blow the fuse.

Got her all going, I pulled out the harnessbehind the block and firewall and found the fraid wires. Took about 3 hours start to finish but now shes running....quite well. Now a rant on "model specific"....My jeep was towed to a shop that was supposedly a "Jeep only" shop.

That being said they sat on my Jeep for a week giving me every excuse from a bad fuel pump (I bought the fuel pump and housing from them) to ripping out and just buying a whole new harness. They wanted from 400 to 1100 to just diagnose the problem and go from there.

Saturday i decided nope something is fishy they are never working on my Jeep and can never give me a different answer so i towed her back home.
My buddy came over yesterday for some lunch and wrenching to find the problem, not 45 min after looking at wiring we found a spot that seemed "hard". A little more investigation we found that the wires and fallen off a clip and have rested on the manifold. The clip was new as it was not weathered of dirty like the other retaining clips in the same area.

So for the price of lunch and a few soft drinks its running fine. I am really ****ed off that this shop was so ready to drain every last penny I had when it seems like they already knew what the problem was, all the while trying to talk me into getting a lift kit done since my Jeep was already there.

Hopefully none of you have this experience and kudos to the guys that responded to my thread and to the site in general, I was able to do a couple more things then anticipated to help get her running a little better.

Back