TPMS light just came on.....

4x4jeeper

my TPMS light came on tonite, i checked all the tires and their pressure is fine. today is the coolest day 59 we have had this fall so far. does anyone know how to reset it before i give up half my day running it to the dealer?

The tire pressure will vary with temperature by about 1 psi (6.9 kPa) for every 12°F (6.5°C). When the outside temperature decreases, the tire pressure will decrease. Tire pressure should always be set based on cold inflation tire pressure. This is defined as the tire pressure after a vehicle has not been driven for more than 3 hours - and in outside ambient temperature. The tire pressure will also increase as the vehicle is driven - this is normal and there should be no adjustment for this increased pressure.
The TPM System will warn the driver of a low tire pressure if the tire pressure falls below the low pressure warning threshold for any reason, including low temperature effects.
The TPM System will continue to warn the driver of low tire pressure as long as the condition exists, and will not turn off until the tire pressure is at or above recommended cold placard pressure. Once the low tire pressure warning has been illuminated, the tire pressure must be increased to the recommended cold placard pressure in order for the TPM warning lamp to be turned off. The system will automatically update and the TPM warning lamp will extinguish once the updated tire pressures have been received. The vehicle may need to be driven for up to 10 minutes above 15 mph (25 kph) to receive this information.

Also check tour spare, 2 of my cars have it on their spares and drove me nuts until i found it. Not sure if the newer jeeps do.

According to my manual, the spare tire does not figure into the TPM when it reads the other four. It must be far enough away for it to not register.

My '05 Liberty has the TPM system. I hate that thing.

Is there any way to shut it down without having the light on all the time,... like removing the sensors, or pulling a fuse ?

What does it take to change the parameters on the system ?

According to my manual, the spare tire does not figure into the TPM when it reads the other four. It must be far enough away for it to not register.

My '05 Liberty has the TPM system. I hate that thing.

Is there any way to shut it down without having the light on all the time,... like removing the sensors, or pulling a fuse ?

What does it take to change the parameters on the system ?
The build configuration on the TIPM has to be re-configured to shut it down. This is acomplished by plugging in the Chrysler scan tool and accessing the central gateway of all the modules in the vehicle and disabling the module in question.

The build configuration on the TIPM has to be re-configured to shut it down. This is acomplished by plugging in the Chrysler scan tool and accessing the central gateway of all the modules in the vehicle and disabling the module in question.

OK. So any competent service center with the Chrysler scan tool should be able to perform this service ? For a "slight fee" I would suppose ;) .

What would happen if I removed all the wheel sensors from the wheels,... or used after market wheels without sensors ?

OK. So any competent service center with the Chrysler scan tool should be able to perform this service ? For a "slight fee" I would suppose ;) .

What would happen if I removed all the wheel sensors from the wheels,... or used after market wheels without sensors ?
A knowlegable Dealership should be able to perform that task.. If you all in all just remove the sensors from the vehicle, the worst thing that would happen is the tell tale lamp will stay on .

Solution!
Take a piece of black electrical tape and cut it about a half inch long.
Now, get in the driver's seat and start the engine.
This is the most important part.................
When the TPMS light comes on immediately place the piece of tape over the light.
You are now fixed.
Thank you.

Solution!
Take a piece of black electrical tape and cut it about a half inch long.
Now, get in the driver's seat and start the engine.
This is the most important part.................
When the TPMS light comes on immediately place the piece of tape over the light.
You are now fixed.
Thank you.

Who would have thought! Words fail me.

I thought these things were Federally mandated like air bags, seatbealts, and dual brake systems? If so, the dealership might not legally be able to disable it (like they can not disable the air bag). - John

I thought these things were Federally mandated like air bags, seatbealts, and dual brake systems? If so, the dealership might not legally be able to disable it (like they can not disable the air bag). - John
Possibly, but I don't think they were mandated in 2005 when the vehicle was built. I believe that would mean they could be disabled, much like shoulder belts are not mandatory until a certain year vehicle.

BTW, passenger airbags are able to be disabled on most vehicles. There are procedures to do so listed in both my vehicle owner manuals.

The TPMS(tire pressure monitoring system) is an option from a mid to premium vehicles when it's ordered from the factory. Unlike the Airbag that's NOT an option and is a standard equipment in all U.S. built vehicles and IS federally mandated . The TPMS option is no more than a luxury rather than a safety gain to a vehicle since it's the operators responsibility to check the tires etc. prior to operating the vehicle. It just makes it more convenient for the operator to monitor the tires thru the convenience of electronics.

BTW, passenger airbags are able to be disabled on most vehicles. There are procedures to do so listed in both my vehicle owner manuals.
This is a feature yet again as an option on some and standard on a few depending on the platform of its build. The mid to premium Jeep Commander, Jeep Grand cherokee,Chrysler 300C, Dodge Nitro to name a few are built with a separate air bag controller for the passenger, ORC(Occupant restraint controller). This controller is responsible for determining the passenger pressence on the seat, the weight, the seat position forward and tilt. The passenger seat is equipped with a strain gauge on each mounting points to the floor of the vehicle to measure the weight of the passenger and how the weight is distributed on all four corners of the seat. It's a sensitive scale that's calibrated to determine if the passenger is an infant, child, young adult , full adult or a briefcase. At any which case, the ORC makes the determination of disabling the passenger airbag or timing the deployment of the airbags during a collision.

Back