went to get an allignement and this is what they said.......

marc

Set it on fire and roll it down hill. Well more bad news for the 88 yj, things are now starting to get bleak. I need everything down to a pitman arm.... Dont understand how a pit man arm can go bad but somehow it has, but I need in/outer tire rods, centerlink, drag, link the whole nine, my question is cant you just by the whole tie rod iner\outer both like the whole bar or do you have to do it peice by peice and if so where would i find all of this *&^%, Or how about this anyone live in virgina area want a jeep YJ strong 4.2 new carb, top, light switch, all i have in it is 2400 and thats all I want, but it needs a good home with a garage instead of condos, let me know about the front end or if you want it give me a call 757 531 8669 please no pranks or stupid $*^%, thanks

Marc[addsig]

junkyards can be your friends too. Get their price, laugh at them, check junkyard, get parts from junkyard, drive by them and laugh again. :-D [addsig]

I went to junk yards and for some reason the only jeeps they have are cherokees I did find what seems to be left of 2 cjs with everything except motors and parts of the bodies, i am running out of options I cant just drop another grand in this thing I guess you could say I droped my last penny on it today, I would rather set on fire and roll it down a hill and keep 91, 4 banger thanks for the help though sorry if was rude i am just pissed i will be better in the morning

marc[addsig]

dont give up on your jeep....its the older ones that need the most love....plus once you are done building your jeep up...it wont be falling apart for along time.( if done properly)[addsig]

I know how you feel. All of my extra money not used for paying off my jeep goes into repairs :-x :-x :-x I'm a poor high schooler and it sucks having no money for modding. As much work as it is and as much money I pour into it, it's worth it. [addsig]

Oh Ye of little faith! Get another alliegnment shop to look at it I have found that there are Jeep Friendly and No Jeep Friendly shops. I have one a year older and Man that is alot of $#!# to be wrong with a front end. What part of Va. are you in. Good Luck Tug[addsig]

In hamption roads area, I went under the jeep with the service tech and everything he showed me was screwed the person that owned it before me must have taken it stump jumpin, everything that has an end or a bushing on is fowled up, the guy was like how much did you pay to have it inspected, i replied 10 bucks why? he said yea right there is no way in hell it passed on its own, he showed me where the pitman arm had a hair line crack through the center from where it bolts to the steering arm up to an inch from the gear box, glad he found it before i did the hard way, what was mostly wrong was the long tie rod was bent on both sides like someone put jack there to lift the front up, go figure, the bad thing is the skid plate doesnt even have a scratch on it, I did a car fax to find out that it had been a wreak which a I knew but according to them it was also in a accedent in 92/98 was imponded in between them went to 2 salvage auctions and 13 people have owned it give the new meaning to cream puff and you have my 88 yj loreado 4.2 ltr jeep, I am just thinking about parting it out and being done with it quadratec sells the stuff i need in kits and to get all of it to fix will cost under 200 which I was like cool, untill all kinds of other stuff poped out during the few weeks I have had, it, I wouldnt mind fixing it but soon enough I will have put forth so much time and money which I have very few of ether I could bought a 302 (ford man) put it in my 91 and be done with everything, thanks guys I will keep you posted my wife is going to put me in the dog house over this one[addsig]

for $124 bucks i put tie rod , balljoints and new steering damper on my 89 yj last week . got all the parts at advance auto,and if i understood them correctly i can get everything to rebuild the entire front end of my jeep. hope this helps, i learned a lot from doing this little job , know it will help if i ever need to do any emergency trail repairs. not to mention saving the $$ doing it myself.
odax :-D [addsig]

I have calmed much over the day got the parts on order from quadratec, and some urathane bushings while I am at it, thanks for the advice all in all its only going to cost around 200 dollars and a saturday and all will be well once more, also can some one tell me how many turns to set the tie rods so my allignments not totaly F.U.B.A.R.ed, thanks
marc[addsig]

Hey marc you still got the carfax subscription? I used to have one but it ran out and I don't have a debit card anymore (changed banks) so I can't get one. (I don't like credit cards either haha) I was wondering if maybe you could run my vin through there and see what comes up...when I did the test there were like 13 records that came back.[addsig]

so, did you set it on fire and roll it down a hill?
if you do we want pics.[addsig]

no burning inferno with the jeep just my wallet 157.89 hole where money use to be I order the kit from quadratec and in 3 business days I will have the parts to start the cycle all over once more. thanks marc[addsig]

Look at it this way Marc, in the long run you'll better off fixing it now than killing yourself in it later. AND it is definately worth fixing.[addsig]

Hey Marc, when you replce the tie-rod ends, just count how many turns it took to remove them. Then when you replace them with the new ones count the same number of turns. Then get your alignment. :-O [addsig]

you know as simple as that is I completly didnt think I guess you could say the lights are on but no one is home

marc[addsig]

The last time I replaced tie rod ends, I did my standard, lock the steering wheel, measure between the front of the rim inside to inside, across the front and inside to inside rear of the front rims (as high as possible)(wire works well). Just to get an idea, how things looked, did one side at a time. And when I rechecked, after counting the turns, things where way out of wack, on moving over to the other side, I noticed the tie rod ends, I had, where half an inch longer and had a good 3/8" of extra threads at the eye end. Might have better luck, measuring from some point on the joint, to the edge of the steering arm or comparing length before you start counting.[addsig]

the counting trick doesn't work all the time. There maybe the same amount of thread on it, but the threads may start differently and lengths could be different. That trick will get you close but not close enough. As soon as you get done, get an alignment to prevent premature tire wear.[addsig]

the counting trick doesn't work all the time. There maybe the same amount of thread on it, but the threads may start differently and lengths could be different. That trick will get you close but not close enough. As soon as you get done, get an alignment to prevent premature tire wear.

well, its better than blindly guessing... :) but yeah, you should get the alignment done too...[addsig]

Back