Heater Control Lights

JohnnyO

We just purchased a 1997 Wrangler. I noticed that the heater controls do not light up when you turn the headlights on. Everything lights up on the dash and radio. Is the heater control not illuminated on these or is that something I can fix?
Sorry for being such a newbie.

If you have a test lamp or a multimeter, that would be helpful in determining the cause for the inop. lamps. When you remove the center dash console panel and the HVAC control head, leave the HVAC connected to the wiring harness. There are very small bulbs attached to the sockets on the back of the HVAC controls for illumination, probe the bulb terminals for battery voltage when the dash lamps are on. If no voltage is present, check for voltage on the connector. If there is voltage, check the ground circuit, if thats good, the lamps are burnt out. You can try locating those lamps from a local parts store, if its not available check from your local Dealer for replacement.

How does the center dash fascia come off? I don't see any screws and I don't want to just yank on it and break it. Thanks in advance.

REMOVAL

NOTE: Remove the defrost panel between the windshield on top of the instrument panel by carefully prying up on the trim. There's 2 screws on top of the center bezel assembly and one behind the ashtray assembly.
  1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the instrument panel center bezel and the glove box. Refer to Instrument Panel Systems for the procedures.
  3. Reach through the glove box opening and unplug the two halves of the vacuum harness connector.
  4. Remove the four screws securing the heater-A/C control to the instrument panel .
  5. Pull the heater-A/C control out from the instrument panel far enough to access the connectors on the back of the control.
  6. Unplug the three electrical connectors from the back of the heater-A/C control .
  7. Disconnect the temperature control cable and cable housing from the heater-A/C control.
  8. Remove the heater-A/C control from the instrument panel.
INSTALLATION

1. Connect the temperature control cable and cable housing to the heater-A/C control.
  2. Plug the three electrical connectors into the heater-A/C control.
  3. Install the heater-A/C control to the instrument panel with four screws.
  4. Reach through the glove box opening and plug the two halves of the vacuum harness together.
  5. Install the glove box and the instrument panel center bezel. Refer to Instrument Panel Systems for the procedures.
  6. Connect the battery negative cable.
80a483da-1.gif

80a4d305-1.gif

REMOVAL

NOTE: Remove the defrost panel between the windshield on top of the instrument panel by carefully prying up on the trim. There's 2 screws on top of the center bezel assembly and one behind the ashtray assembly.

Hey I didn't want to hijack this thread about heater controls but I had a question and can't im yet. Can the 1998 slider controls be changed out for a newer model with the turn knobs? Thanks for any help.

Shane

Hey I didn't want to hijack this thread about heater controls but I had a question and can't im yet. Can the 1998 slider controls be changed out for a newer model with the turn knobs? Thanks for any help.

Shane
I don't think so.. The slider type is cable actuated and the knob control type is vacuum actuated control units.

Back