Suggestions

kappa

I have a 97 Tj with 4 cylinder and will be putting on a 3.25 lift. Trying to get some ideas on what size wheel and tire I should get. Looking at 33x12.50x15 but not sure. I know gas mileage will go down but that is not a real big concern. Pics would be great with whatever combo is suggested.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's the same 4 banger of the YJ's and it doesn't have enough huevos to haul that big of tire. You may want to think about a gear reduction as well. Maybe 4:56 or 4:88.

I ran mickey thompsons on my YJ 4 banger and it was a little boggy on grades and FWY speeds.

You can run 33's on the stock 2.5L and stock gears but you'll never see 5th gear again on the highway. Do yourself a favor and get some engine mods first. Build your own intake with a cone filter to start ($40-$80 or even less if you can fab) then swap in a 4.0L TB to replace the stock TB and get a spacer for it (~$20 for the TB, ~$50 for the spacer.) Also, grind out the intake inlet to accommodate the larger 4.0L TB bore (free if you have a dremel and a Sharpie marker.) After that, do the e-fan conversion (~$20 for the fan assembly and shroud, and another $40 or so for wiring/relays/switches.) A decent header-back exhaust system w/ a high-flow cat is optional and recommended but won't be required.

Alternatively, you could regear the rear axle. You'll probably spend a little more money than all the above mods combined and you won't have any extra power to throw around. I would recommend regearing at some point in the future though, especially if you want to go higher than 33's.

After you do these things you'll have spent about $210 total at the most (sans exhaust system and regear) and she should give you plenty of power for 33's. I am running 31's with just an intake/cone filter combo right now and I have enough power. Not plenty, but enough. I use 5th gear regularly on the highway. I'm gearing up to do the TB swap/intake inlet and the e-fan this week or next, just having trouble finding the parts. I'll add the spacer later on.

Last edited:
I just upgraded to 33s a couple of weeks ago. I have a 97 4 cyl. auto. I am running a 4.0L tb, with spacer, 5.0 mustang fuel injectors and e-fan. I wanted to move up to 33s but was worried about the 4 cyl. turning them, I went with 33x10.50.15 bfg km2's. The 10.50s were 12lbs. lighter than 12.50s were so I thought less weight would help along with less rolling resistance, so far I have been very happy with them. I could barely beat a semi in a drag race but once I hit around 40-45mph I have plenty of power.

I have a '94 with 33's. But I did do a lot of work to it before throwing the tires in. Let's see, I've:

• Changed the mechanical fan for a Ford Taurus fan with the Delta Current Control speed controller (it adjusts the fan speed according to the radiator temp)
  • Changed alternators (stock one was a bit too low for my needs)
  • Changed the Throttle Body to a 62mm one (with spacer)
  • Changed the air filter to a high flow one (Airhog by FRAM)
  • Removed the airbox restrictors
  • Installed a snorkel (basically acts as a CAI and as an air ram)
  • Changed the cam to a MOPAR Performance cam with a bit more duration and more lift
  • Installed Yella Terra roller rockers, and new valve springs and retainers
  • Borla cat back and Flowmaster CarSound cat
  • Mustang 19# injectors
And the most important and noticeable mod, regeared to 4.88 (along with 30 spline alloy axles and lockers).

Even with all this, 5th is not used often, but the Jeep rides really nice up to 4th (I can still use 5th, but it feels a bit underpowered when I do, and its more fuel efficient if I drive in 4th).

Felipe

^^^ Holy Crap ^^^ I am all about hot rodding what you got!

I will say that I tried the snorkle thing, and I found it to impede the performance of the engine more than help it, specifically off road, the distance the air has to travel and the turbulence created by the 90* bends in the system were simply not worth it. the motor would bog down when I needed to crawl along, and had hesitation when I had to get into it.

Now I personally avoid water crossings and mud like the plague, so a snorkle was just wasted money (but it was free), I ended up making a simple intake tube and stuck a filter on the end, instantly solved my problems.

I know this is not exatly the topic, just my $.02

In my case, it was more a case of necessity than vanity...
is the type of terrain we ussually get into, so a snorkel is a must (unless you like hydrolocked engines)!

By the way, this is not MY Jeep, it was a friends, and they were betting if my friend could cross the river in 2H instead of 4H or 4L. But this is just one of the crossings from the Pacific Ocean on the way to the Atlantic Ocean in Panama (of course, no snorckel required if you take the highway, but what fun is THAT?!).

Felipe

PS: Here are some other shots of trails in Panama...

Back