What engine do I have.

willywings1

Is there a web site or does anyone know how to determine what year and what size engine I have? I got an engine from what I think was a cherokee. I remember it being the old square style with lines going across the top of it. I want to say it was like a 70 something. It was a couple years ago when my friend got the vehicle for the front and back axles. I got the engine, transmission, transfer case, driveshafts, and radiator from it but, either of us can't remember what it was out of. I want to put it in my wrangler that has sat for 10 years. Any and all help is appreciated.

post some picts of eng
casting # on block there was a few different choices on eng if I remember correct is it a straight 6 or a v8 if it was a older cherokee im thinking either 258 6 cyl or a 360 v8

Full size, right? full size Jeep Cherokee? Full time 4wd? if so it's probably a quadratrac full time with all the clutches in the TC. These came with 302 cid, 304 cid and 401 cid V8. It IS a V8 correct?

looked something like picture below? yeah, he's right, I forgot about the 360.

Attachments

• jeeps.gif
    jeeps.gif
    54.9 KB · Views: 385
It is a i6. I will list the numbers from the block when I get home. Beleive it or not I am in the hospital with the wife in labor with our 2nd child. I just started my project Thursday night. I got the 4 cyl out and have the i6 on a stand. That is as far as I got.

As you can tell I am not well versed in all the ins and outs. I am mechanically inclined and can do just about anything. So I am up for the challenge. Thanks again.

It is a i6. I will list the numbers from the block when I get home. Beleive it or not I am in the hospital with the wife in labor with our 2nd child. I just started my project Thursday night. I got the 4 cyl out and have the i6 on a stand. That is as far as I got.

As you can tell I am not well versed in all the ins and outs. I am mechanically inclined and can do just about anything. So I am up for the challenge. Thanks again.

welp, congratulations on the new family member, he or she will be a pleasure, I am sure. Mine always were and it never got old for me. But it WILL knock a HUGE chunk from your Jeep budget. They always do.

BTW; it's a 258 cid (4.2L)

thanks hihoodwell it is official. i have a new baby boy. now i have an excuse to keep the jeep and keep putting money into it.

ok, lets get back to the jeep. i know you said that the engine is a 258 cid (4.2L). here are the official numbers from the block. the raised numbers on the drivers side is 3227445 and the stamped number on the passenger side on a flat spot is 206C06.

i have an 84 cj7. will that bolt up to the engine mounts, trans mount etc. is there enough room for the engine without hitting the radiator which i also have from the i6. sorry for not doing capital letters but, i am having problems with my shift keys. i am also having problems posting pictures of the engine and jeep which i am sure would help since i am not even sure what i have in my garage. i am thinking i need to compress the pics and that would work.

Back