How to replace battery cables??

confusedone

I have a 1999 Wrangler..and the battery cables are very corroded and more than likely the cause of why my Jeep at times wont start. I've brought it to an auto parts store to have the battery, alternator and starter checked and all are fine so this seems to be the right answer. The cables are pretty bad and if you whack them hard enough to make them move and change the connection slightly it will start right up. When turning the key all the dash lights come on and it clicks it just won't catch. Seems to be the "logical" answer from what I've been reading.

But my question is...just HOW do you take the old cables off and how to put new ones on??

I can handle going into the auto parts store and getting new cables that's the easy part...I'm just a Jeep Girl with not alot of money and need to either do this myself or have a guy friend help me!

Get a mechanically minded person to help you. Also have them clean your battery terminals and put some anti corrosion grease on them.

Welcome to Jeepz. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to do this yourself if you have the right tools. The only tools you will need is a set of a 1/4 inch sockets and a 1/4 inch ratchet. The sizes you will need is a 10mm, 13mm and possibly a 14mm i think. The positive cable(Red) has 2 leads, one to the starter solenoid and the other to the power distribution center(fuse box). The Negative cable(black) also has 2 leads. Both of them are grounds. One to the block and one to the body..

First...Welcome to the Z! Where are you located? There might be someone close that could lend a hand.

The ground cable is real easy, usually just a bolt to a grounded location. With the other cable just notice or take the time to write down or take pictures of how it is connected. This is not a hard fix, just have to pay attention to details...

if you dont have any mechanical skills send it out best word of advise I will give you

I'm in the Denver, CO area.

I have guy friends who are mechanically inclined but doesn't mean they've done this specifically before.

Taking photos is a great idea!

Time to hit the auto parts store!

It should be very easy. Just take off the old and put on the new the same way. Be sure to clean up the battery posts with a wire brush.

Check to see if the cables are soldered to the lugs at the battery clamps. If they are soldered you might not need to change the whole cable - just the battery clamps. If they are just crimped (not soldered) and the corrosion has crept under the jacket of the cable turning it green then you might want to change the cables and the clamps. For exact fit cables you'll probably have to go to the dealer. I always pack mine with wheel bearing grease after they are clean to protect them. Best of luck - John

It's done. At least the positive one which was the really bad one. Having a hard time locating a negative one.

Thanks for all your help!!!!

That's great!

Post up any time, a lot of good people that know how to help with all issues...

I just wanted to say, that I am doing this as well and am having problems finding the proper lengths of cables. But, the big thing is that yes, they do corrode over time, but I have had constant problems with the clamp bolts where the wire meets the terminal. They tend to loosen if you hit a lot more bumps(Jeep) at higher speeds than most. 7/16" socket or wrench to tighten those down should keep you fired up until you get it all replaced.

Also use No-Ox or similar anti-corrosive goop on the connections.

Since I preferred using welding wire for my electrical I went with 2 gauge but the red jacketed kind was impossible to find locally (unless I bought 40 ft.) but I happened on EBay the other week and there's an outfit selling pre made welding wire with lugs. To get the length I needed I went a little long and cut one end off then with these hexagonal hydraulic crimpers I found went to work and I'm right impressed with the results.

14762125035_38467efc66_c.jpg

14762126705_e8afdf1ccb_c.jpg

...unfortunately my Benzomatic ran out of juice before I finished the collar part of soldering.

Finished the project and it looks good and heavy duty, especially when compared with my first attempt with a hobby vise.

14807660083_28cc05879a_c.jpg

14785460274_51d82a7ec4_c.jpg

Back