Broken welds on font dana 30, any ideas?

DeadHammer

Well the welds that hold my control arm in place have broken (they were bent up in a previous accident). Do you guys think I should try and have it rewedded or just replace the axle? *see pics below for the carnage

Attachments

• DSC01998.JPG
    DSC01998.JPG
    385.7 KB · Views: 2,210
  • DSC01999.JPG
    DSC01999.JPG
    410.6 KB · Views: 906

I would either fabricate a new bracket or get one from a junkyard if they would sell it to you.

Several companies sell the bracket and they're heavier than stock. I would have the new bracket professionally welded.

I agree with BH. There are several companies that offer brackets. You will need to check what diameter axle tube you have, but here is an example of what I have in mind. Also I would take a very close look at the rest of the brackets on that axle to see if there is more damage. Another thing to mention I would change the brackets in pairs of uppers and pairs of lowers. For instance I would change both bottom brackets in your case. That way if there is a difference in bracket length from stock to new the axle isn't twisted and would make alignment a problem. If it is a trail only rig this may not be an issue.
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Radius-Tube-Link-Bracket-For-1.75-DIA-Tube-p-689.html

Last edited:
Back