YJ transmission cooler line replacement

zowtiak

I love working on my Yj and keep her pretty clean. This makes it easy to see when my transmission lines to the cooler are leaking:shock:

I went to some websites to see about replacing them and all I can find at 4wd.com are some snake clamps and 2 feet of rubber hose

They look sort of cheap and I was never a fan of snake clamps if I did not have to use them. The ones that are factory look pretty solid, possibly even high pressure.

Any thoughts on replacing these? I pulled them off my '76 jeep Waggy when I had her and all it took was some teflon tape to stop the "bleeding".Any vendors that carry replacement kits I would love to hear from you!

Power steering or similar high pressure hose and regular screw tight clamps have always worked for me; never used any sealer or tape. Cheap.

I went to the local Shucks. They have a couple of guys that are pretty knowledgable and suggested i use a 3/8s hose and clamps. I am wondering if I should just byopass the cooler all together. I dont tow, so maybe it is not needed.Hmm. thoughts?

Do not bypass the cooler unless you want to rebuild the transmission; heat is the enemy of an auto and it needs the cool.

Thanks for the sound advice. I heard that from other sources as well. I am going to try and just put new 3/8 line on it and double clamp it. I will take some ophotos and put it in the tech side and update it if it blows up or not! I heard that the transmission does not have too much pressure behind it so it should hold up.
Here is the kit I saw from 4wd.com. I am thinking about getting it in case the metals lines break repairing mine.
Universal Transmission Line Kit by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware

Back