transmission/transfer case

captjanes

how do i tell the size of my transmission/transfer case. on the tag on my transfer case the model says new process 251 J so is that a ax-5? i got a 99 tj 2.5 L. the reason why i wanted to know because i got a manual for my jeep from hanes and i was checking the oil level in my transmission and my transfer case and the book was telling me 2 different kinds of lubricant for different types of transmisions and transfercases and i wanted to know what wa sin my jeep so i could put the right oil in it.. unless someone can recomend a syntetic oil that i can use or something that is good let me know thanks

Last edited:

If your jeep is the 5spd manual transmission, the transmission is the AX5 and the transfer case is the 231j.

I recommend Redline MT90 for the transmission, great synthetic fluid that will help that AX5 shift smooth and last a long time. The incorrect fluid will eat the synchronizers in your transmission in short order.

where can i get this redline mt90? and can i use it both in my transmission and transfer case? thanks

You will most likely need to order it online. It's not something that your local auto parts store is likely to carry (none of ours do.)

I don't know if you can use it in the transfer case or not. I would assume so, but I'd wait for someone else to answer that question :)

ATF is what the tcase wants. I usually put in synthetic Dexron/Mercon.

Back