trying to get more hp from 2.5l

AVILES

I was looking at past forums about how to get more horse power from a 2.5l and I it seems like an electric fan is a good thing to get, so I looked that up and I found something about using a fan from a Taurus, so since my dad used to own a 88 Taurus, I was wondering if the fan from it would fit and if it would benefit my 97 jeep wrangler, also if you have any ideas on how I can get more power please let me know, thanks.

You need the mid 90'2 Ford fan, and it needs to be the V6. Can also be a lincoln fan (slightly bigger). I got mine at a U-Pick for $28...

What's your gear ratio?, that would help with overall performance running on 35's.

I missed the tire size; yeah, regearing to 5.35's would be the the ideal gear for 35's (of course, that means changing your axle to D44, 8.8 or bigger)... I run 4.88 with 33's, and I wish I had 5.13's instead (I ran 4.88 with 31's before, and it was SWEET!).

Of all the mods you can do to the 2.5L, gearing is one of the most expensive, but it is also one of the most noticeable (along with turbo/supercharger, or rebuilding the engine for higher compression).

Felipe

either put turbo on that 2.5 or swap it for something larger; no substitute for good old CID; (thats cubic inches)

not much more u can do then:
air intake
throttle body spacer
headers
exhaust

i've looked at superchargers but a lil pricy
i still want to. they sound tight but im poor

I sell 62mm Performance Throttle Bodies for the 2.5L and 4.0L '91-'04, as well as matching smooth bore throttle body spacers. Email bountyhunter AT sija.org .

whaT DOES THIS performance throttle body do?
how much does it help?
hp?
and whats ur price 4 a 2.4/2.5?

The larger TB will allow more air into the engine which means more fuel can be burned which means more HP.with a CAI and TB you can get any where from 5 to 15 HP.In a 4 banger that is a huge noticeable difference.

Bounty is there all those spaces in your email?I am interested in getting a TB and spacer.Or if you want e mail me at mrcoolguy33@yahoo.com.
Shipping to 18617.I have a 2.5l engine.

No spaces, replace the AT with @, just include the spaces to help prevent spam emails.

With all my mods (4" lift, 33" MT tires, e-fan, 4.0TB, TBS, 4.88 gears, etc. setc. etc.), I get about 15 mpg (sometimes, if I am light on the skinny pedal, 16 mpg). 130K miles, '94.

nice
but i thought jeeps were supposed to have a lil better gas milaged then that, idk. i guess im just crazy

I have a spectre CAI and an airaid TB spacer. i noticed a little bit of a difference. It really sounds alot bigger. i love the sound from the new intake. but now i want headers and exhaust. just gotta save some $$

Let me take a stap at this again; First of all, the eFan will help, as it will release about 5HP up (you will not gain this, but will not waste it on the fan as you are currently doing with the mechanical fan). 5HP is a huge gain when considering the 2.5L. The reason for the Ford fan is that it is argubly the most powerful fan out there as far as CFM goes (it pulls more air than any Flex-a-lite or other aftermarket fan), but you need to consider when you install it how to control it; this can be by hand (a simple on-off switch), a thermo switch (automatically turns on the fan at a predetermined temp), or a controler (that increases the fan speed as the temp goes up automatically; this is the most expensive option, but in my opinion, it is also the best option, as starting at a lower speed pulls less amps, which also means you can keep the stock alternator if you need to).

Now, there are other options you can look at to increase power on the 2.5L; the basic ones, would include:

1. Air intake: Look at high high flow filters to make the engine breath a little easier. Some will argue that the removal of the restrictors in the air box (some Jeeps have one and some have 2) will help, but this has not been demonstrated, and others argue that it just moves the torque band higher up. Read around, and decide what YOU want to do on this issue, as I dont want to open a can of worms here... Another choice is to go with a CAI or Snorkel. Personally, I went with the snorkel (not only protects the engine from hydrolocking when crossing rivers, but the air is coming from OUTSIDE the engine compartment, so it's theoretically cooler), but some CAI setups do work nicely (not all are the same; look around, research and make an intelligent decision before you buy!).

2. Injectors: You can change to the Design III injectors, which produce better atomization of the fuel, and have a bit more flow than the stock ones. Here I would most defenetly suggest you look at the FAQ section of 4bangerjp.com to be sure you get the right ones, as if you look just at flow, you can easily be misled, as different injectors are measured at different pressures...

3. Ignition: I strongly recommend stepping up to a Performance Distributors setup for the 2.5L with good ol regular plugs. Then you can re-gap your plugs to .060" for better combustion. The setup includes a Screaming Demon coil, Live Wires, rotor and cap.

4. Exhaust: Now that you have more fuel (with better atomization), more air (to be able to burn more fuel), and an improved spark (for better combustion), you need to get rid of all the exhaust. In my book, the main issue here is the Cat and the Muffler, so I recommend a high-flow cat (I bought a Magnaflow one for under $100) and a good cat-back system (I really like Borla; their warranty is the best! I also used Gibson for a while, and it was also good). You can also look at headers, but make sure these are designed for low end torque (many are designed for Horse Power, which you do not want).

You can also look at other alternatives, like overhauling the engine, changing cams, roller rockers (to reduce friction), turbos, and superchargers, but all of these tend to get more expensive than the ones above...

Anyway, hope this helps!

Felipe

After upgrading your intake/throttle body, you can get some bigger injectors. 19# Ford injectors from a Mustang/Explorer work quite nicely. There's actually a thread on this in the FAQ section at http://www.4bangerjp.com and I suggest you take a look at everything else there as well.

The e-fan you're looking for will come from a 3.8L Taurus. You can also use the fan from a Lincoln MkVIII if I remember correctly, it's just a different housing with the same two-speed fan motor. There's also a thread about this over at 4bangerjp.

Otherwise, basically what everyone has said before. But here's my own spin on it:

Intake: If you decide to go with a CAI or SRI type intake, don't spend nearly $200 on an aftermarket intake system. Just build your own. All you need is a good conical filter, some 3" pipe, a throttle body fitting ring, a few 3" rubber sleeves, and some 3" hose clamps (you can get all this stuff at your local AutoZone.) You can support it any way you want; as I don't have access to a welder and scrap metal to make a proper mounting bracket, I used some metal strapping ($3 at the auto parts store) and strapped it tight to the hood support rod on the driver's side. Trust me when I say that is all the support it needs. I'll get some pics of my work up for you tomorrow.

Throttle Body: You don't HAVE to spend a ton of money right now on the high-performance throttle body. I recommend you drop the $150 and get it at some point, but you can also go with a 4.0L throttle body for now. The bore isn't as big as the performance throttle body but it's bigger than the 2.5L's stock throttle body. I got one out of a junkyard, cleaned it up with some throttle body cleaner, switched a couple sensors over, and bolted it on.

Total cost of both of those mods for me was only $70 plus a little gas to drive to the junkyard. It cost me about $50 to build the intake and $20 for the 4.0L throttle body at the junkyard. The throttle response is 100% better after just these two mods, and I noticed an increase in torque and horsepower. I saved a little over $250 (mind you, I'm still going to get that performance throttle body someday) I dare you to do better :D

Last edited:
Back