jeep yj automatic transmission line replacement

zowtiak

I could not figure out how to post this in how to, but I take so much from this forum and wanted to give back a little.
I searched on how to fix my leaky lines in my 95 yj 2.4 with automatic transmission and transmission oil cooler and did not find a whole lot of info, so I thought I could help out.
I had leaks that were coming from the factory connections that go from my transmission to my cooler ( in front of radiator). The usual weep, but enough to drive me crazy. I was changing my transmission (with help from Jeepz!) anyway, so since it was drained I thought this would be a great time to repair the leak.
Here is what I did.
First, I bought:
*10- 3/8 inch snake clamps.
*6' of 3/8 inch tubing. The best grade I could get was fuel line/emissions.
*teflon tape
*rtv clear silicone
*specific tool to remove factory connections. Autozone $4.99.

First, I removed the lower connection from the cooler. It was only a snake clamp. Then I removed the factory connection , which went straight to the transmission.It took some tugging but came right off with the tool.
I then replaced the metal tubing and line with the proper length of 3/8 tubing going directly from the transmission to the cooler. To ensure it is strong I put 2 clamps on each joint. This means one on each side of the raised "bump" on each line. I also gave it some clear rtv.Overkill maybe but i hate leaks.
I did the upper hose the same way, with 2 clamps per connection, including where it meets the radiator.
The last line from the transmission took a bit more work. The connection to the transmission was easy, just the factory connection. The other end had a threaded, flanged connection. I disconnected it with 3/4 inch wrenches. I did not want to cut the metal line to the transmission,but I had a nut flanged on to the line. Instead I used my dremel and cut the crimped connection off the line, which exposed a connection that I could easily put my 3/8 line on. After connecting the tubing I rethreaded the factory connection.Once again, 2 clamps and rtv.I also put teflon tape on the threaded connection. Why not, right? I cinched it up and washed my hands.
The whole job took about 1 hour. I left it overnight for the rtv to set up. I had about a foot of hose left over, and for under $20 NO MORE LEAKS.

Hope this helps. I regret not taking pics.next project for sure.

Last edited:

I did a similar hose replacement but on an F350 but only using one clamp at each connection and it worked fine. (If one is good two must be better, right?) My concern is the quality of the hose you have used. I’m not sure that gas line can handle the high pressure an automatic transmission puts out. Power steering or hydraulic type hose will work. Any parts shop should have power steering hose and an equipment shop (cat, hoe, and the like) or a rental yard that rents such equipment like United Rentals will have the hydraulic hose. Not sure how small they would carry but they swag up replacement hoses and fittings all the time for their equipment and for others.

Last edited:
well said. I spoke witha couple of reputible mechanics. The conclusion was that the jeep did not have huge pressure in the transmission, so I am hoping it holds up until next change of transmission fluid. I wil lreplace witha heavy duty or braided then. But for now she is doin fine!!

I was wondering if a leaky automatic trans is common in these? I was working on my 89 and noticed a small puddle underneathe my jeep. It is trans fluid. Not a lot but still annoying.

Mine was definately leaking from the from end of the jeep, mostly around the transmissionoil cooler. the connections that require a special tool look a little suspect to me, and that is where most my leaking was.

Back