Soft top care

robo83

Hey guys, I have a '93 wrangler with a fairly new soft top on it. I have started to notice that when it rains my back side windows leak wherethe plastic meets the cloth part. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Looks like replacement windows are in your future. I dunno if there's anything you can do right now to fix them but any softtop fix is usually just a short-term patch.

At least soft windows are relatively cheap.

There is no such thing as soft top that does not leak. TJ tops are better but any CJ or YJ top is only going to save you from a major soaking while you go down the road.

I once tried to drive through a snow storm in the Columbia River Gorge (between Oregon & Washington through the Cascade Mountains) in a 1972 CJ5 with a soft top. It was snowing as hard inside the jeep as it was outside, had to scrape the ice off of the inside of the windshield while I drove too. After a bit I had to give up and return to Portland.

I love soft tops but they do have their limitations.

yea i was just wondering if there was anything i needed to do to it, people ask me why dont i get a hard top, and i just ask why, it dont really bother me. i just wanted to make sure i wasnt doing anything wrong or if i could do anything.

THANKS GUYS

Hardtops aren't much better, snow would make it past my old YJ hardtop.

Maybe buy some parafin wax and try rubbing the seams from the inside, should help some.

I've never had any trouble with either of my ('76 CJ-5/'05 TJ) Jeeps soft tops leaking... My rear window cracked in the -14F cold but that was the only prob... I agree with Bounty, rub some wax on it & maybe point a hairdryer @ it to help it soak in

Maybe try the spray on stuff they use to waterproof boots? I think they make some for tents too that would probably work.

I assume you are talking about the sewn stitches that are at the window to top joint? I have used this stuff called "Seal-All" on stitches before and it seemed to work pretty well sealing up the stitch holes. It was in a little yellow and red tube - John

If anyone is interested on the factory repair parts recomended on soft tops here it is.
For difficulty on zipper concerns,
Soft Top Zipper Cleaner & Lubricant (p/n 05066440AA).
For repairs on loose seams and small tears,
Part No. Description​
1 05174166AA Kit, Seam Sealer Soft Top Repair - Black (for
Black, Medium Gray, or Green Color Soft
Tops)
1 05174665AA Kit, Seam Sealer Soft Top Repair - White (for​
Khaki Color Soft Tops).

Back