Front axle swap question?

DeadHammer

Can a front axle from a late model Cherokee be swapped over to a TJ? I need to replace my front Dana 30 on my 98 TJ Sport.

The internals you should be able to as long as they are the same axle type. As far as the entire assembly that I am not 100% on.

Yes, it's a direct bolt-in. Stay away from the '01 XJ if you want the upgrade from the TJ's low-pinion axle to the XJ's high pinion front axle. All XJ's but the newest ones have a high pinion front axle.

Why in the world did they bother to make a high pinion AND a low pinion axle? Why not put the high pinion axle in all Jeeps (XJs and TJs) . No wonder why the auto makers can't make any money:roll: - John

Yep, they shorted the TJ by putting in a low pinion front axle. So from '97-99 they put all high pinions in the XJ's while the TJ got the low pinion. The HP30 is a slight upgrade for a lifted TJ.

Never done the swap in a TJ but did in a ZJ (low to high pinion) drive shaft worked fine but it was lifted. In stock height you might have some clearance issues.

Back