tires...

sportster92

Hi all
I have a 97 Wrangler TJ. I would like to put 33x12.5 x15 tires on my TJ. Could someone tell me what lift kits I need to accomplish this, do I need a body lift or suspension? Also what brand do you recommend? Thanks Nick

Either one will work, but I recommend a budget boost. With 2.5" you should be able to clear a 33" tire on a TJ (4" would be needed for a YJ).

Yes you'll want new shocks as well with a suspension lift. With just a body lift no, you won't need new shocks.

Yeah, the 2.5 will do you just fine. As far as tires, I am running the BFG Mud Terrain and really like those compared to even some Pro Comps I've had in the past. Plus they're not too hard on the wallet...

I have 33x12.50x15 Hankook tires with my 4 inch pro comp lift. I didnt need a body lift and I have never had any tire rub problems, even with stock fender flares. Good Luck!!:twisted:

4" suspension lift gives you all kinds of room for 33's. if you just do a body lift, then you still have things hanging down down below that could get hit by rocks and such. do a suspension lift, and you won't regret it. I have a 4" rough country lift, got it for $569, not too bad, and it works.

Hi I have seen lift kits with sharks and springs and some with only sharks and spacers. What is the difference besides the price? I do not want to spend too much money.
Again, thanks for your help.

Here is a picture of my 02 with 33x12.5's and I think a 2" bb coil spacer lift, just to give you an idea. I haven't had any problems with rubbing or anything, and I also still have the stock shocks, probably not too good for it, but I'm planning on upgrading soon anyway.

Attachments

• DSCN3354.JPG
    DSCN3354.JPG
    711.5 KB · Views: 321
A lot depends on the tire. One companies 33 might be larger or smaller than another. My old TSLs said 38 on the sidewall but actually measured 36. The new KM2 35s are between 33-34". The width of your rim will also make a difference. A 33x12.50 on a 8 inch rim will be taller than one on a 10 incher. If you plan on running factory rims plan on a 1.25-1.5" wheel spacer to clear the control arms. Def spring for new shocks, if you can afford them get mono tubes. You will thank yourself every time you ride on a rough road.

I would agree with xjmarc, my jeep rides horribly rough everywhere, even on the street

if you just do a body lift, then you still have things hanging down down below that could get hit by rocks and such. do a suspension lift, and you won't regret it.

huh? could you explain that to me?

and I second about tire size. I was checking out the New Pitbull rockers that a buddy got, 37/14.5 on a 15x9" bead lock. they were at least an inch smaller than my Q78's on a 15x8" bead lock both tires at about 4psi.. mine are a couple years old, his were brand new.

Another example.. a 35" BFG at does not even measure 33"

thanks for all the help guys.i am going to check into quadratec to see what they have.awesome jeep redwrangler02

i highly recommend the trxus mt. best tire i have ever used on road and in ice and snow. they have also done great in mud with me too. btw i have 33x12.50-15 trxus on a 2.5" suspension lift and im in a yj!! only body work has been tube fenders!!!

if you just do a body lift, then you still have things hanging down down below that could get hit by rocks and such.

huh? could you explain that to me?

A body lift only gains you what ground clearance you get from the ability to fit taller tires.
A suspension lift raises everything except the axles (frame, fuel tank, bumpers, etc.) and the axles themselves get raised by half the amount of the increased tire diameter.

Put another way, let's say you add a 2" BL and put on 33" tires in place of 29" tires. The BL raises the body 2" but the frame not at all. The 33's are 4" taller and will raise the axles, frame, gas tank, 2" because the installed tire will be 2" taller at the top and 2" longer at the bottom.

Now let's say you install a 4" suspension lift and put on the same 33" tires in place of 29" tires. The body, frame and everything attached to it are raised 4" right off the bat. Now we add the 33" tires which will raise the axles 2" higher and everything else will now be a total of 6" higher than it was before.

Back