IF you had to get new M/T's, which ones?

i can honestly say that i love my trxus mt's. my buddy has had the mtz for less than a year and they are about 1/4 tread left. my trxus have been awesome.

Guess it depends on what you will be using them for. Mine rarely sees pavement, trailer queen. If most of your time is spent on the road you might consider an A/T. In that case the BFG rules.

I was a big fan of the BFG brand prior to the company being bought by the french.... I have run 2 sets of BFGs on my vehicles since then. I would go with a Interco Super Swamper SSR. I commuted from portland to seattle weekly with mine and made a road trip from Oregon to TX averaging 16 MPG and never for a second wished I had the M/Ts back on the rig. Offroad they will make you smile. They were finally retired and sold after a few years with about 30% remainint when I took the step upto 35's a few years ago.

I have KM2's on my rig and they work really well in the rocks when aired down to 11#, and work well on the street too.

I was a big fan of the BFG brand prior to the company being bought by the french.... I have run 2 sets of BFGs on my vehicles since then. I would go with a Interco Super Swamper SSR. I commuted from portland to seattle weekly with mine and made a road trip from Oregon to TX averaging 16 MPG and never for a second wished I had the M/Ts back on the rig. Offroad they will make you smile. They were finally retired and sold after a few years with about 30% remainint when I took the step upto 35's a few years ago.

French or not... Michelin makes the best tires money can buy, AT's notwithstanding.

I have KM2's, and they are quite on the road, and grip almost like an AT. Offroad, they are much better than any AT.

I had the MTRs in 30x9.50 and they lasted about 30000 mi. Mostly on road driving too. I like them but they cup really bad towards the last 3/4 of the wear. They got really loud and you could hear nothing but my change vibrating in my ashtray going down the highway. I will say they stuck to the road in all conditions very well for a mud tire. I've since switched to General Grabber AT2 since I do mostly highway driving. I like them very much but only have had them a few weeks so we'll see in couple of months how they wear.

I bought Mud Stars 1 year ago. They were CHEAP. They show very little wear at this point. They kind of resemble TSL's a bit. I was worried cheap price>cheap tire, but I'm thrilled so far.

It's my opinion that the Yokohama M/T is the best tire for quite highway drives and the tread design allows little to no mud buildup on the trail....except they will sling the mud to the wheel wells.

I found BFG KM2's (31x10.5x15) at Costco for $723.96 but am going to wait for the next time they have a 4x sale.

I found BFG KM2's (31x10.5x15) at Costco for $723.96 but am going to wait for the next time they have a 4x sale.

I dont know how the supply is at this time, but when I got mine, they were a real PITA to find the 5 units (I replaced the spare as well). Had to find them from 3 different locations...

And at $723 for a set of 4, they are a good deal already. I would pick them up if I were you...

I bought Mud Stars 1 year ago. They were CHEAP. They show very little wear at this point. They kind of resemble TSL's a bit. I was worried cheap price>cheap tire, but I'm thrilled so far.
These "Mudstar's" may bee my next tire... I'm looking for a hard rubber MT for my Jeep in a 33"... It was a toss up between ProComp M/T's or General Grabber MT's but the Mudstar price is hard to beat

Yeah, like I said they ARE a cheap tire. But, they turned out to be a good choice I think. I was told by a tire guy once that if you can grab the lug on a tire and squeeze it ( compress the rubber with finger pressure) that they will hold up well. His theory behind that was that the "softer" the tire, the less carbon in them, and they tend to "grind" off less being composed of softer material. I myself know nothing about tire chemistry, but it sounds good at least. Theses tires ARE soft, and seem to be wearing well. But, that it just what I'm seeing so far. They do in fact do well in mud/rocks/sand, and highway traveling seems good too. The are NOT top-o-the-line for sure, but for the price, I'm happy with them so far. Good Luck P-Punk, Brad

I have the MT/R w kevlar, and LOVE them. Nice on the highway, awesome on the rocks. Haven't been to the mud though.

The BFG KM 2's have been getting good reviews in magazines since their introduction. If it weren;t for the $900 I had to spend on the front end of mine recently, that's what I'd be running.

not on your list but i have goodyear wrangler duratracs and they are great. not that i do any serious crazy off roading but for a vehicle which sometimes gets daily driver status on long trips and for a few weeks at a time, they are great on road and the very few times i have been in the mud, they did super

rather then starting a new thread i figured i post here.. i am looking for a tire for on road and off road use.. i do alot of sand and snow and i like a good tire for water on the highway (i am running bgf a/t now and they dont like water at all, really bad for hydro plaining) it is mostly a DD but i love to be able to go offroad in the mud sometimes but the a/t no good in mub or in bog and i get stuck alot, but i also lookign at lockright lockers down the road. i spend about 80% on road and 20% off i would guess. i was thinking about the bfgs mud terrain t/a km2. is this a decent tire in mud,sand, snow mostly, and water? or can someone suggest a better tire also i like a tire that looks beefy and tread almost down to my rim haha

Back